What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using simcard overseas

Jane O

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to Turkey for a few weeks and was told that I can get a simcard over there for my iPad -- much less expensive than AT&T 3G with better coverage.

Is the simcard for the iPad just an ordinary cellphone simcard that I'll be able to buy at a Post Office in Turkey? Or is it a special rare variety that might be impossible to find. Would it be safer to buy the AT&T International service as a back-up?

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this.
Jane O

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you probably know, the iPad uses a newer type of SIM card called the microSIM, which is used by the iPhone4 and the iPad. These are significantly less common than the regular SIM. As a result, if you're planning to get a SIM when you get to Turkey, you might want to invest a few dollars in a SIM-cutter. This will cut a regular SIM down to microSIM size. It sounds a bizarre procedure until you realise that the 'excess' being cut off the regular SIM to bring it down to microSIM is simply plastic. You can get these cutters easily in the US from retailers such as Amazon.

Details of the GSM operators in Turkey can be found here

Using Mobile Phones in Turkey | I was in Turkey

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Tim

OP
J

Jane O

iPF Noob
Reaction score
simcard overseas

Tim -- thanks a million. This is exactly what I needed to know. The article is loaded with useful information, also.

I appreciate your responding so quickly.
Jane

Most reactions