What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using new Ipad with 3G

allan76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason I bought a new Ipod with 3G was so I could use it as a GPS when I am travelling. I have downloaded a good app that shows me the route before I leave home because it is connected to wi-fi but when I am out I will have to use the salletite but I cannot find how to make that work.

Can anyone help me. I do not want to purchase another sim card as I already have a mobile phone for making phone calls and can even use it for data if I want to but I do not see any necessity to do that outside.

Thank you, Allan

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need an app that stores the maps locally instead of downloading them (as needed) off the internet. NavFree is free. Given the size of the app it must download the maps after the app is installed; but it does work off line according to the description.

I use CoPilot Live Premium HD. Only ok, but cheaper than most of the other choices; and there are a lot of other choices.

OP
A

allan76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have installed NavFree but it could not find my location while trying it outside. I don't think I have 3 g turned on. How do I do that?

Barnipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stupid question (or maybe not). Did you switch on the Location services in Settings? Then Navfree should be switched on as well (this is under Location services). The only time Navfree asked me so far for connection (3G) is when I enter a street address.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The actually NavFree app is quite small. That means it still needs to download the maps. Apps that download with the maps installed often exceed 1GB.

Not having used it myself, I'm not sure what needs to be done; but one thing is for sure, it will have to be done with an internet connection until the needed maps have been downloaded.

I dont know if you download the maps by setting up a trip, or whether there is some option to download your area maps. Try their support site and see if there are any directions or FAQs.

Good luck.

Reaction score
There is in "upgrade" option in the NavFree app that gets you to a list of maps. You can download them ahead of time, as needed. I did notice that it only lists the states. If you need coverage outside of the US, you'll need to look at other apps.

OP
A

allan76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your help. I have just proved today that I do not need a sim card to use my iPad as a gps. Even so far as a sweet female voice telling me where to go. I used navfree and set up the route before I left home with my broadband then turned off wi fi when I left home. Allan

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
allan76 said:
The only reason I bought a new Ipod with 3G was so I could use it as a GPS when I am travelling.....

This seems to me a rather poor reason to buy an iPad when there are relatively cheap GPS units that have free map updates and work well in all kinds of conditions without any 3G or wifi connection.

There must be more than that to your reasoning...?

OP
A

allan76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The difference in price between a 3G model and a GPS is much less than buying a dedicated GPS.

I do not need to use my Ipad to browse the internet and pay cellphone rates because they are very expensive in my country.

It would be a lot better to find a wifi hotspot if I am travelling. I have a cellphone if I need to make a phone call.

Most reactions