What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using my aussie ipad in USa

allyoop51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have put an AT&T sim in my iPad whilst in USA but can't send any email. Message comes up as relaying not supported by host.
Help what do I do?
Should be able to send an email I am receiving emails

Ali51

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The relaying message is coming from your SMTP host in your email configuration. Nothing to do with using an AT&T SIM.

Make sure your outgoing email server is set up correctly. Sending and receiving email are two different functions.

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem, as thewitt, points out is that the sending of emails is done using the SMTP protocol. This, by default, doesn't require any account name or password. When you're on your home network, your email service provider can identify you and so will allow you to send email. But when you're away from home, on another network, your email service provider has no way of knowing whether it is 'really you'. Since there have been many famous cases of users impersonating other people and sending emails purporting to have come from another person, most (nearly all) email service providers don't allow the sending of email from a 'foreign' network using the standard legacy SMTP protocol, whose origins date back to the dawn of the Internet era. In 'Internet language' this is known as the 'Port 25 relay problem'.

To be able to send emails from a 'foreign' network you need to switch to a more up-to-date version of SMTP. In your email settings you should be able to switch on a secure login option for SMTP called SSL. This newer protocol requires an account name (your email address) and a password (your normal email password) and usually uses port 465 (it's usually prompted automatically by the iPad). With that secure login, your email service provider can be confident that it's really you who is trying to send email from your account and all will be OK.

It's sometimes easier to setup a completely 'new' email account on the iPad with the receive email settings (POP or IMAP) being identical to the first account and the SMTP settings being the 'new' one with SSL. Once you get that working properly, you can delete the older account that doesn't have the SSL. SSL will work fine, too, once you get home, so there's no need to switch back to the older protocol at the end of your trip.

If you have any further problems, don't hesitate to get back in touch and have a great trip..

Tim

OP
A

allyoop51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim will try all this today and see how I go
Ali51 in Seattle

OP
A

allyoop51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Tim
Great advice. Thank you for your advice. All good can now start sending home photos to cause envy amongst my friends at home.
TA!
Alison

Most reactions

Latest posts