What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using MS Office on iPad

paddling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am a retired academic, living in Switzerland. I have just acquired an ipad 2, and stumbled across the Forum whilst looking for information about using Microsoft Office on the iPad. I see the topic has already been well covered. I'm sure I shall have other questions, though.

Paddling

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial for our App
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

rocki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recommend Pages. It's very user-friendly and I use it all the time. :)

Pages uses only iwork files and cannot save to other formats, for example doc file. Beside it saves only to icloud or email. Office2hd looks same as office suite from mac/pc and support various cloud services and formats. So if you dont use or have iwork on computer then you are in deep trouble.
I'm not using it much because i have laptop home and edit documents from there mostly( bigger screen and keyboard) but can done my things if needed from ipad

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pages uses only iwork files and cannot save to other formats, for example doc file. Beside it saves only to icloud or email. Office2hd looks same as office suite from mac/pc and support various cloud services and formats. So if you dont use or have iwork on computer then you are in deep trouble.
I'm not using it much because i have laptop home and edit documents from there mostly( bigger screen and keyboard) but can done my things if needed from ipad

Uh yes it can save to doc and read them. :) it's also very easy to move docs to and from the computer/ipad. For over a year, I didn't have a Mac and was using word on the comp and pages on my ipad. They worked flawlessly together. Please don't post misleading information when all we want is to help the OP.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I frequently send files to colleagues in Word format and PDF. As far as I know Numbers is also file compatible with excel, and Keynote with PowerPoint.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just to confirm that it does save in .doc format.....l

image-1221355411.jpg

The Archangel

rocki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uh yes it can save to doc and read them. :) it's also very easy to move docs to and from the computer/ipad. For over a year, I didn't have a Mac and was using word on the comp and pages on my ipad. They worked flawlessly together. Please don't post misleading information when all we want is to help the OP.

About 6 month ago i tried pages and saving to doc was not so easy. Client wanted to export/move his pages file to pc as doc file. Took 2h to figure it out how to do that. Export via email did not work. I even dont remember what was the solution. So for me it was no to pages. Anyway - maybe there are newer versions. I apologize if my message was misleading. Now i'm sure he was using some old version or something.
Rocki

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About 6 month ago i tried pages and saving to doc was not so easy. Client wanted to export/move his pages file to pc as doc file. Took 2h to figure it out how to do that. Export via email did not work. I even dont remember what was the solution. So for me it was no to pages. Anyway - maybe there are newer versions. I apologize if my message was misleading. Now i'm sure he was using some old version or something.
Rocki

I have to say that this is still bad information, Pages has always been able to open and "save as" .doc since it has been available on the iPad, if it took you 2 hours then you were doing something wrong.

The Archangel

OP
P

paddling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you everybody. This is a great forum.

At the moment I am concerned primarily with moving files from my Mac Mini onto the iPad rather than the other way round, so perhaps Words will do what I need.

Paddling

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

At the moment I am concerned primarily with moving files from my Mac Mini onto the iPad rather than the other way round, so perhaps Words will do what I need.

Paddling

Pages will do that, and it will do it automatically. You will, however, need to buy both versions of Pages, one for OS X and the other for iOS. Once you have them installed on your Mac Mini and iPad, any changes in one will be reflected in the other. All you have to do is make sure both apps are bought using the same AppleID and both devices are online, with Pages turned on in iCloud.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Paddling

Pages will do that, and it will do it automatically. You will, however, need to buy both versions of Pages, one for OS X and the other for iOS. Once you have them installed on your Mac Mini and iPad, any changes in one will be reflected in the other. All you have to do is make sure both apps are bought using the same AppleID and both devices are online, with Pages turned on in iCloud.

To add to the advice given by Kevin, you can also use a number of Apps on both your Mac and iPad to keep documents available everywhere. Dropbox is one and Flick! is another which mickey330 has advised is really good, so you can do what you want with Pages but you still have other options if you want to use something other than Pages.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts