What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Maps for a GPS

mjla1715

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a week old newbie to the ipad2 and purchased 3G since I thought I could use it for a GPS. I am trying to enter street addresses/ to and from. Is this possible?
I have Googled and looked in this forum, but most seem to be using it just for a site locator. I have even read the Ipad for dummies....and still no luck.
Can anyone help, please.
Thanks,
Mary

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it always starts from my current location. So I do not enter e 'from' address. Use the button 'route' at the bottom to enter a destination.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might also want to look at some of the third party apps, such as TomTom, that use the iPad GPS but provide the 'usual' satnav functionality.

Tim

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like Tim says.. With a decent GPS app, you can turn your iPad into a fully functional GPS unit. There are a few very low cost and even free ones.. I'd recommend a few apps, but you don't indicate where you are. Some GPS apps aren't available for all countries.

OP
M

mjla1715

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a the USA, thanks in advance fair the recommendation,.a

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For North America, I find 'GPS drive HD' is a great GPS app.. MotionX GPS Drive HD for iPad Wi-Fi + 3G and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G on the iTunes App Store I use it all the time. It's around $3.00 to download and it turns your iPad into a fully functioning GPS unit with automatic routing and 2D and 3D views..

There's only one hitch with GPS Drive.. You need to to enable the voice guidance. It's $2.99 a month, or $19.99 a year. I think they still offer the first month for free so you can evaluate it.. If you don't need the spoken voice guidance then you don't need to pay anything extra. All the other functions work.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I second the MotionX GPS Drive app. It is cheap but works extremely well. It also allows you do download maps over wifi for use offline. The iPad's screen is so big I have not found the need for Voice Nav.

Most reactions

Latest posts