What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Mac to Jailbreak instead of WinPC

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, so I have a lot of different computers for what I do. My desktop runs Win7, which is where I have iTunes residing for the main sync, restore, etc. I also have a MacBook Pro to which I can plug in the iPad and do minor things, but it is not the main computer. My backups are on the desktop Win7 machine.
Question: Can I use the MBP w/out causing problems just to jailbreak, and then restore my backups on the Win7 PC? Seems like I read the backup/restore are integrated into Greepois0n. Maybe I'm being too anxious to be a JB bird again. Thanks!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can jailbreak any A5 device on the MBP whether it is synced with it or not. The backup/restore exploit does not rely on the device being paired with the PC AFAIK. Both my devices back up to iCloud and still jailbroke perfectly well.

The JB does not do an actual backup and restore. It simply hacks the process...

OP
W

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you. So now I'll forge ahead. I already got the Mac JB earlier, just couldn't find my answer. WOOHOO!!! Snoopy doing dance on the doghouse!! (I know, dates me)

OP
W

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Worked on iPhone w/out a hitch...in the process of JB'ing iPad2, then next my iPod. Am soooo excited. I'm a kid again!

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's how I did it. I used my wife's MacBook Pro to JB my iPad2.

Most reactions

Latest posts