What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using local 3G service in multiple European countries

Sk8marie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We will be doing a road trip through the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria within the span of a few days and I was wondering whether there is a way to get ONE local SIM card (Vodaphone, O2, etc) to use in all three countries, or whether I will need to buy a new one each time we cross a new border?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We will be doing a road trip through the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria within the span of a few days and I was wondering whether there is a way to get ONE local SIM card (Vodaphone, O2, etc) to use in all three countries, or whether I will need to buy a new one each time we cross a new border?

Hi, Sk8marie! Welcome to iPF!

There are a few options to choose from:

There are some companies claiming to offer service in many countries around the world (including Czech Republic, Germany and Austria), like abroadband, maxroam or wigro-productions. You'll have to check prices. I don't know if they're cheap.

You can use one micro SIM for all three countries. Be prepared to pay for roaming charges, it won't be cheap, afaik - especially in Austria.

Third option: buy pre-paid micro SIM cards of each country you visit. You could do it in advance, and buy them online.

duongel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
itun.es
hi Sk8marie,

i live in germany and maybe i can help you,
i guess you you're talking about data connections only? because data roaming is still (too) expensive in the EU, so i suggest to have seperate prepaid cards for each country,

you shouldn't get E-Plus or o2 in germany, eventhough they are the cheapest, unless you want your ipad to be searching for reception all the time ^^

Most reactions

Latest posts