Using local 3G service in multiple European countries

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by Sk8marie, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Sk8marie

Sk8marie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We will be doing a road trip through the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria within the span of a few days and I was wondering whether there is a way to get ONE local SIM card (Vodaphone, O2, etc) to use in all three countries, or whether I will need to buy a new one each time we cross a new border?
  2. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,337 / 2
    Hi, Sk8marie! Welcome to iPF!

There are a few options to choose from:

There are some companies claiming to offer service in many countries around the world (including Czech Republic, Germany and Austria), like abroadband, maxroam or wigro-productions. You'll have to check prices. I don't know if they're cheap.

You can use one micro SIM for all three countries. Be prepared to pay for roaming charges, it won't be cheap, afaik - especially in Austria.

Third option: buy pre-paid micro SIM cards of each country you visit. You could do it in advance, and buy them online.
  3. duongel

duongel iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi Sk8marie,

i live in germany and maybe i can help you,
    i guess you you're talking about data connections only? because data roaming is still (too) expensive in the EU, so i suggest to have seperate prepaid cards for each country,

you shouldn't get E-Plus or o2 in germany, eventhough they are the cheapest, unless you want your ipad to be searching for reception all the time ^^