1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Using local 3G service in multiple European countries

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by Sk8marie, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Sk8marie

Sk8marie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We will be doing a road trip through the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria within the span of a few days and I was wondering whether there is a way to get ONE local SIM card (Vodaphone, O2, etc) to use in all three countries, or whether I will need to buy a new one each time we cross a new border?
  2. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,936 / 1
    Hi, Sk8marie! Welcome to iPF!

There are a few options to choose from:

There are some companies claiming to offer service in many countries around the world (including Czech Republic, Germany and Austria), like abroadband, maxroam or wigro-productions. You'll have to check prices. I don't know if they're cheap.

You can use one micro SIM for all three countries. Be prepared to pay for roaming charges, it won't be cheap, afaik - especially in Austria.

Third option: buy pre-paid micro SIM cards of each country you visit. You could do it in advance, and buy them online.
  3. duongel

duongel iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi Sk8marie,

i live in germany and maybe i can help you,
    i guess you you're talking about data connections only? because data roaming is still (too) expensive in the EU, so i suggest to have seperate prepaid cards for each country,

you shouldn't get E-Plus or o2 in germany, eventhough they are the cheapest, unless you want your ipad to be searching for reception all the time ^^