What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPhone for ipad2hotspot

Firefighter188

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Is there something special that I have to add to my iPhone 4S to make it a hot spot for my ipad2?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you need to contact your carrier and pay a monthly tethering charge. Can't speak for other carriers, but on Verizon it is $20 per month. But you'll get an additional 2 gig download ceiling for the charge.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Yes, you need to contact your carrier and pay a monthly tethering charge. Can't speak for other carriers, but on Verizon it is $20 per month. But you'll get an additional 2 gig download ceiling for the charge.

So it's 4 gigs for 20.00 tethering to iPad?

OP
F

Firefighter188

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know if I can use my USB connect from my pc for Internet connection for my ipad2? Connecting it with the USB adapter of course...

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it's 4 gigs for 20.00 tethering to iPad?

No... only 2 GB. And then after that 2 there will be another automatic $20.00 charge for 1 more GB, that is if you mootch over the 2 GB limit in the month. The only way to get more would be to be jailbroken and use one of the Cydia apps which uses the phone's data pool for tethering. The Verizon plan separates the data pools - the phone's portion, and that set aside for tethering.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bingoldsby said:
No... only 2 GB. And then after that 2 there will be another automatic $20.00 charge for 1 more GB, that is if you mootch over the 2 GB limit in the month. The only way to get more would be to be jailbroken and use one of the Cydia apps which uses the phone's data pool for tethering. The Verizon plan separates the data pools - the phone's portion, and that set aside for tethering.

So there's only a 20.00 charge if you go over 2gigs?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there's only a 20.00 charge if you go over 2gigs?

Here's how it works on Verizon. You pay for a phone data plan, say $30 per month. If you add tethering you pay another $20 per month for an additional 2 Gigs plus the tethering capability. The total of 4Gigs can be split between the phone and the iPad (or whatever other device you tether to the phone, e.g. a laptop.) That makes a total of $50 per month for 4Gigs to be shared between a smartphone and an iPad.

Verizon used to charge $20 per month just for the tethering capability but there were numerous complaints to the FCC that VZW was charging a customer additionally to use data downloads they'd already paid for. So to avoid having its hand slapped by the Feds, VZW gives you an additional 2 Gigs of download for your $20. You can, of course, purchase more than 4Gigs, typically at about $10 per gigabyte. Of course, if you go over your allocation by a single byte, you'll have to buy another full gigabyte.

Ideally, of course, you should be able to purchase a smartphone without a data plan and use a mifi hotspot to connect both your phone and your iPad to the internet. But that is not allowed. If you have a smartphone you must have a data plan for it. You can, however, purchase a phone without a plan. The phone will be more expensive, but it will be much cheaper over the course of a two year contract. And you can use that phone with a mobile hotspot. Altogether, you could purchase both a phone and a mobile hotspot AND a data plan for both for less than the $1200 you'll pay for the smartphone data plan and tethering over a 2 year period.

A couple of other things to consider. If you have a 3G iPad, you can purchase two gigs per month for $30. But unlike the tethering plan, you cannot of course, use that allocation on anything but the iPad. On the other hand, you can turn off the 3G service on a month by month basis. As far as I know, you cannot necessarily turn off the tethering on a monthly basis (though I may be wrong.) And, of course, it would be silly to use the month by month 3G iPad plan if you plan to tether to the smartphone.

Additionally, if you are using an iPhone, you can only use the Verizon 3G network. If you have one of the new 4G phones, on the other hand, you'll have access to a much, much faster (Verizon) network. Of course, if you do that you'll have to have an Android smartphone since the iPhone has no 4G radio.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Here's how it works on Verizon. You pay for a phone data plan, say $30 per month. If you add tethering you pay another $20 per month for an additional 2 Gigs plus the tethering capability. The total of 4Gigs can be split between the phone and the iPad (or whatever other device you tether to the phone, e.g. a laptop.) That makes a total of $50 per month for 4Gigs to be shared between a smartphone and an iPad.

Verizon used to charge $20 per month just for the tethering capability but there were numerous complaints to the FCC that VZW was charging a customer additionally to use data downloads they'd already paid for. So to avoid having its hand slapped by the Feds, VZW gives you an additional 2 Gigs of download for your $20. You can, of course, purchase more than 4Gigs, typically at about $10 per gigabyte. Of course, if you go over your allocation by a single byte, you'll have to buy another full gigabyte.

Ideally, of course, you should be able to purchase a smartphone without a data plan and use a mifi hotspot to connect both your phone and your iPad to the internet. But that is not allowed. If you have a smartphone you must have a data plan for it. You can, however, purchase a phone without a plan. The phone will be more expensive, but it will be much cheaper over the course of a two year contract. And you can use that phone with a mobile hotspot. Altogether, you could purchase both a phone and a mobile hotspot AND a data plan for both for less than the $1200 you'll pay for the smartphone data plan and tethering over a 2 year period.

A couple of other things to consider. If you have a 3G iPad, you can purchase two gigs per month for $30. But unlike the tethering plan, you cannot of course, use that allocation on anything but the iPad. On the other hand, you can turn off the 3G service on a month by month basis. As far as I know, you cannot necessarily turn off the tethering on a monthly basis (though I may be wrong.) And, of course, it would be silly to use the month by month 3G iPad plan if you plan to tether to the smartphone.

Additionally, if you are using an iPhone, you can only use the Verizon 3G network. If you have one of the new 4G phones, on the other hand, you'll have access to a much, much faster (Verizon) network. Of course, if you do that you'll have to have an Android smartphone since the iPhone has no 4G radio.

OK, got it, thanks as always!!!

choPppps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just use bluetooth for the hotspot. You need to pair the two devices first, then when you turn on the hotspot, choose to turn on bluetooth as well. It is suppose to work with wifi as well, but I have had no luck with this. It seams my 4S is crappy at acting like a router strickly over wifi.

Most reactions

Latest posts