What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad2 Safari with CKEditor

JChidester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.reunionwebcoach.com
I've run into a roadblock.

I edit many websites that incorporate FCKEditor or the more recent CKEditor. On these pages, I am able to 'touch' the screen on one of the icons about the content area, but not click within the content area. Normally, clicking inside the content box would allow me to type and add images or links, etc.

I visited Demo | CKEditor and got a response that the version I'm using of Safari is not compatible.

It said version 3.0 or higher were compatible. How can I determine what version of Safari is loaded on the iPad2?

I have Skyfire as well -- and got the same "incompatible" message. There is another pay-to-use browser called "perfectbrowser", I've emailed their support department to see if their browser is compatible.

Any other suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When they talk about compatible Safari browsers, they are probably talking about the desktop version. There is no way to update mobile Safari, other than the next iOS update. If you are running iOS 4.3.3, then that's the most up to date version of Safari on the iPad.

Pretty much all the browses on the iPad use the same web browsing engine as Safari. That means all of them have the same problem with some web site editors. If it does not work in Safari, it is unlikely to work in any other browser.

However; some sites offer a choice of text editors in their options. If you can choose a different default editor, you may be able to get things working.

If not, your only other options is a remote program where you control another computer remotely from the iPad. That way you can (with some minor awkwardness) do anything on the iPad that you could on that computer. With some finagling this can work away from you home network, or even over 3G.

Splashtop is the current darling of the forum. :)

OP
J

JChidester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.reunionwebcoach.com
twerppoet said:
When they talk about compatible Safari browsers, they are probably talking about the desktop version. There is no way to update mobile Safari, other than the next iOS update. If you are running iOS 4.3.3, then that's the most up to date version of Safari on the iPad.

Pretty much all the browses on the iPad use the same web browsing engine as Safari. That means all of them have the same problem with some web site editors. If it does not work in Safari, it is unlikely to work in any other browser.

However; some sites offer a choice of text editors in their options. If you can choose a different default editor, you may be able to get things working.

If not, your only other options is a remote program where you control another computer remotely from the iPad. That way you can (with some minor awkwardness) do anything on the iPad that you could on that computer. With some finagling this can work away from you home network, or even over 3G.

Splashtop is the current darling of the forum. :)

Thanks. Splashtop works!

Most reactions

Latest posts