1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Using iPad in Germany on O2

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by LarryGB, Feb 14, 2011.

1. LarryGB

LarryGB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will be travelling in Frankfurt/Manheim/Seltters regions of Germany in May 2011. I believe the carrier there for data is O2. Any suggestions/cavets for using an iPad from Canada on the 3G networks?

Thanks
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    You should have no problems - though you'll (I'm sure you know) want to use a pre-pay microSIM - unless you have deep pockets and don't mind the roaming charges.

I'm sure you're aware too that WiFi is *very* widespread in Europe and, almost anywhere you are, you'll find free and PAYG WiFi networks - almost all hotels, motels, malls, franchise restaurants, buses, trains - you're never far from a WiFi
  3. LarryGB

LarryGB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info.
    The intent of using 3G would be to utilize the Maps function on the iPad. I've priced out the options of upgrading my TripNav for Europe and also renting a GPS with vehicle, and the 3G sounds a lot more attractive. The navigation would be for both sidewalk and highway use. Not having experience with 3G [not yet available in our area], I assume that the prepaid data plan would expired at its' limit, and you could then replace with another purchased MicroSim? Or is it by the calendar/data plan? ie 30 days or 250Mb/5Gb?
    Any other suggestions?
  4. gandy

gandy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, i want to know this answer too.
  5. chesterhound

chesterhound iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Larry:
    I travelled to Germany this past Fall and had my friend who lives there pick up a microsim from Vodafone. She had to get it activated in her name. It cost 25 Euros and had 5GB of usage or good for one month of use and then it expires, whichever came first. 5GB was more than enough data especially if you will have WiFi access. I will have to get another one when I return to Germany this Spring. It worked great and most areas have full 3G coverage.

chesterhound
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. mrphantuan

mrphantuan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, I agree with you. I think so...
  7. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Hi,

There is another alternative. Fonic prepaid micro sim card. (FONIC ? günstige SIM für Handy & Surf-Stick. Prepaid. Ohne Grundgebühr)
    With two options.
    1. Daily charge for unlimited data - € 2.50 up to day 10. After day 10 or a total of € 25 Internet access is free till the end of the month.

The second option is 0.24 €/MB (segments of 100 KB)

You need a German address here. Or a friend.

Does this help?

Knut
  8. LarryGB

LarryGB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for those suggestions but at the moment, still having problem with Rogers & MTS. march 31 is when the 3G gets turned up for rural Manitoba, Canada. So haven't been able to really see what my bandwidth requirements are, and what plans to use. I was hoping to use something like co-pilot or Nav4d while in Germany; or just plain old Apple maps, which need an online connection.
  9. alec

alec iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you've got everything figured out then it may be helpful for you to download the Freephoo app from the app store. It will let you make free calls to other freephoo friends or to any number (if you buy their premium pack) using wifi or 3g. While roaming, I guess wifi would probably make more sense :) You can download it at freephoo | free phone calls for iPad on the iTunes App Store
  10. bc98

bc98 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely don't roam when you are traveling in Europe, there are many cheap SIM only options available in each country (much more than in the US or Canada). Like Knut said you may need to have an address.
  11. cathy1978

cathy1978 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that currently the most convenient price per MB is from europasim (4 cents/MB) in 33 EU countries and 0.04 cents in Italy. The network coverage is from Vodafone, therefore there is no better coverage across Europe at the moment.
  12. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Yes, I agree, to use just one sim for 33 EU countries is very convenient. But this comes at a high price. € 6 per day is a lot.

Knut
  13. 5er driver

5er driver iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm in Germany and just got a Fonic Surf Card for my iPad 3. O2 network, €2.50 per day and the cost stops at €25 per month, 500 MB per day/5 GB per month @ up to 7.6 Mbits/s. If you exceed the daily or monthly data limit then the speed will throttle down to 64 kbits/s. You can purchase it for €9.95 and it comes with one free day (24 hours) of service. The 24 hour period is from midnight to midnight.
    This is the best prepaid deal in Germany at the moment. Believe me, I looked ALL over.
  14. ctw0

ctw0 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello 5er driver,

I've purchased a Fonic simcard for my iPad 3 via germansimcard.com, for use in a trip to Germany beginning in a few weeks. The instructions given by germansimcard.com tell how to activate the Fonic "Internet-Tagesflatrate" via SMS. However, one cannot natively send an SMS using the iPad, of course. :eek:

I can read German, and noticed that it is now possible to activate "Internet-Tagesflatrate" online via the Fonic site.

Will I be able to activate the "Internet-Tagesflatrate" online without having a German bank account? (In order to "top up" the credit on the SIM card, I will be using a voucher ["Aufladebon"] purchased in a shop instead of a bank account, per the instructions at germansimcard.com.)
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  15. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    When you receive this fonic sim card from germansimcards.com the card should already be activated.
    As you already have the sim card I assume that it is activated. (To activate a fonic card you need to have a German residential address.) And this is what germansim...com did for you.

Now the answer to your question: In order to activate the "Tagesflatrate" online you have to log into the fonic site and select it - no need to have a bank account or address.

As far as I can remember, to log into the site you need the phone number of the sim card and a password.

Hope this helps.

Knut
  16. ctw0

ctw0 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you, Kricke! germansimcard.com requested the hotel address in Germany where I will be staying, in order to activate the card. (The card is still in transit from Germany.)

Hopefully, germansimcard.com will provide me with a password in order to log into the fonic.de site. Or if not, perhaps I will be able to use the phone number and "Freischaltungsnummer" from the back side of the card in order to create my own password.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  17. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Should you need help send me a mail and maybe I can assist you once you are here in Germany.
    Should you happen to be in Berlin, give me a call.

Knut

New Hampshire - Live free or die - that's what I read on the number plates of many many cars over there.
  18. ctw0

ctw0 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the offer! After reading the information in this thread, I have sent my question about "Tagesflatrate" to germansimcard.com; I will post here what I learn from them.

And also on my own number plate; it has been the motto of the state of New Hampshire since the time of the Revolutionary War. :eek:

Tom
    • Like Like x 1