Using iPad in Germany on O2

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by LarryGB, Feb 14, 2011.

1. LarryGB

LarryGB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Will be travelling in Frankfurt/Manheim/Seltters regions of Germany in May 2011. I believe the carrier there for data is O2. Any suggestions/cavets for using an iPad from Canada on the 3G networks?

Thanks

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You should have no problems - though you'll (I'm sure you know) want to use a pre-pay microSIM - unless you have deep pockets and don't mind the roaming charges.

I'm sure you're aware too that WiFi is *very* widespread in Europe and, almost anywhere you are, you'll find free and PAYG WiFi networks - almost all hotels, motels, malls, franchise restaurants, buses, trains - you're never far from a WiFi

3. LarryGB

LarryGB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info.
    The intent of using 3G would be to utilize the Maps function on the iPad. I've priced out the options of upgrading my TripNav for Europe and also renting a GPS with vehicle, and the 3G sounds a lot more attractive. The navigation would be for both sidewalk and highway use. Not having experience with 3G [not yet available in our area], I assume that the prepaid data plan would expired at its' limit, and you could then replace with another purchased MicroSim? Or is it by the calendar/data plan? ie 30 days or 250Mb/5Gb?
    Any other suggestions?

4. gandy

gandy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i want to know this answer too.

5. chesterhound

chesterhound
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Larry:
    I travelled to Germany this past Fall and had my friend who lives there pick up a microsim from Vodafone. She had to get it activated in her name. It cost 25 Euros and had 5GB of usage or good for one month of use and then it expires, whichever came first. 5GB was more than enough data especially if you will have WiFi access. I will have to get another one when I return to Germany this Spring. It worked great and most areas have full 3G coverage.

chesterhound

#5 chesterhound, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. mrphantuan

mrphantuan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I agree with you. I think so...

7. Kricke

Kricke
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

There is another alternative. Fonic prepaid micro sim card. (FONIC ? günstige SIM für Handy & Surf-Stick. Prepaid. Ohne Grundgebühr)
    With two options.
    1. Daily charge for unlimited data - € 2.50 up to day 10. After day 10 or a total of € 25 Internet access is free till the end of the month.

The second option is 0.24 €/MB (segments of 100 KB)

You need a German address here. Or a friend.

Does this help?

Knut

8. LarryGB

LarryGB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for those suggestions but at the moment, still having problem with Rogers & MTS. march 31 is when the 3G gets turned up for rural Manitoba, Canada. So haven't been able to really see what my bandwidth requirements are, and what plans to use. I was hoping to use something like co-pilot or Nav4d while in Germany; or just plain old Apple maps, which need an online connection.

9. alec

alec
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    If you've got everything figured out then it may be helpful for you to download the Freephoo app from the app store. It will let you make free calls to other freephoo friends or to any number (if you buy their premium pack) using wifi or 3g. While roaming, I guess wifi would probably make more sense :) You can download it at freephoo | free phone calls for iPad on the iTunes App Store

10. bc98

bc98
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Definitely don't roam when you are traveling in Europe, there are many cheap SIM only options available in each country (much more than in the US or Canada). Like Knut said you may need to have an address.