What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad in Germany on O2

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will be travelling in Frankfurt/Manheim/Seltters regions of Germany in May 2011. I believe the carrier there for data is O2. Any suggestions/cavets for using an iPad from Canada on the 3G networks?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will be travelling in Frankfurt/Manheim/Seltters regions of Germany in May 2011. I believe the carrier there for data is O2. Any suggestions/cavets for using an iPad from Canada on the 3G networks?

Thanks

You should have no problems - though you'll (I'm sure you know) want to use a pre-pay microSIM - unless you have deep pockets and don't mind the roaming charges.

I'm sure you're aware too that WiFi is *very* widespread in Europe and, almost anywhere you are, you'll find free and PAYG WiFi networks - almost all hotels, motels, malls, franchise restaurants, buses, trains - you're never far from a WiFi

OP
L

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
The intent of using 3G would be to utilize the Maps function on the iPad. I've priced out the options of upgrading my TripNav for Europe and also renting a GPS with vehicle, and the 3G sounds a lot more attractive. The navigation would be for both sidewalk and highway use. Not having experience with 3G [not yet available in our area], I assume that the prepaid data plan would expired at its' limit, and you could then replace with another purchased MicroSim? Or is it by the calendar/data plan? ie 30 days or 250Mb/5Gb?
Any other suggestions?

chesterhound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Larry:
I travelled to Germany this past Fall and had my friend who lives there pick up a microsim from Vodafone. She had to get it activated in her name. It cost 25 Euros and had 5GB of usage or good for one month of use and then it expires, whichever came first. 5GB was more than enough data especially if you will have WiFi access. I will have to get another one when I return to Germany this Spring. It worked great and most areas have full 3G coverage.

chesterhound

Last edited:

mrphantuan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks

You should have no problems - though you'll (I'm sure you know) want to use a pre-pay microSIM - unless you have deep pockets and don't mind the roaming charges.

I'm sure you're aware too that WiFi is *very* widespread in Europe and, almost anywhere you are, you'll find free and PAYG WiFi networks - almost all hotels, motels, malls, franchise restaurants, buses, trains - you're never far from a WiFi
Yes, I agree with you. I think so...

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

There is another alternative. Fonic prepaid micro sim card. (FONIC ? günstige SIM für Handy & Surf-Stick. Prepaid. Ohne Grundgebühr)
With two options.
1. Daily charge for unlimited data - € 2.50 up to day 10. After day 10 or a total of € 25 Internet access is free till the end of the month.

The second option is 0.24 €/MB (segments of 100 KB)

You need a German address here. Or a friend.

Does this help?

Knut

OP
L

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions but at the moment, still having problem with Rogers & MTS. march 31 is when the 3G gets turned up for rural Manitoba, Canada. So haven't been able to really see what my bandwidth requirements are, and what plans to use. I was hoping to use something like co-pilot or Nav4d while in Germany; or just plain old Apple maps, which need an online connection.

alec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've got everything figured out then it may be helpful for you to download the Freephoo app from the app store. It will let you make free calls to other freephoo friends or to any number (if you buy their premium pack) using wifi or 3g. While roaming, I guess wifi would probably make more sense :) You can download it at freephoo | free phone calls for iPad on the iTunes App Store

bc98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely don't roam when you are traveling in Europe, there are many cheap SIM only options available in each country (much more than in the US or Canada). Like Knut said you may need to have an address.

cathy1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that currently the most convenient price per MB is from europasim (4 cents/MB) in 33 EU countries and 0.04 cents in Italy. The network coverage is from Vodafone, therefore there is no better coverage across Europe at the moment.

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in Germany and just got a Fonic Surf Card for my iPad 3. O2 network, €2.50 per day and the cost stops at €25 per month, 500 MB per day/5 GB per month @ up to 7.6 Mbits/s. If you exceed the daily or monthly data limit then the speed will throttle down to 64 kbits/s. You can purchase it for €9.95 and it comes with one free day (24 hours) of service. The 24 hour period is from midnight to midnight.
This is the best prepaid deal in Germany at the moment. Believe me, I looked ALL over.

ctw0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in Germany and just got a Fonic Surf Card for my iPad 3. [...]
Hello 5er driver,

I've purchased a Fonic simcard for my iPad 3 via germansimcard.com, for use in a trip to Germany beginning in a few weeks. The instructions given by germansimcard.com tell how to activate the Fonic "Internet-Tagesflatrate" via SMS. However, one cannot natively send an SMS using the iPad, of course. :eek:

I can read German, and noticed that it is now possible to activate "Internet-Tagesflatrate" online via the Fonic site.

Will I be able to activate the "Internet-Tagesflatrate" online without having a German bank account? (In order to "top up" the credit on the SIM card, I will be using a voucher ["Aufladebon"] purchased in a shop instead of a bank account, per the instructions at germansimcard.com.)

Last edited:

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
When you receive this fonic sim card from germansimcards.com the card should already be activated.
As you already have the sim card I assume that it is activated. (To activate a fonic card you need to have a German residential address.) And this is what germansim...com did for you.

Now the answer to your question: In order to activate the "Tagesflatrate" online you have to log into the fonic site and select it - no need to have a bank account or address.

As far as I can remember, to log into the site you need the phone number of the sim card and a password.

Hope this helps.

Knut

Most reactions

Latest posts