What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using ipad as your in-car GPS, anyone else do/doing the same?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im impressed how good mapquest app is on ipad. So i figure might as well sell my Garmin GPS, no use for it now. Anyone else selling or sold their reg GPS?

buzzkill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still use mine as a GPS... saved my a$$ at work one day when our driver got in the wring hwy... and I got us back on track with no tme lost!

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used mine all the time before I got an iPhone. I loved it. I use(d) GPS Drive by Motion-X (MotionX? | MotionX-GPS Drive HD Overview). I pay the $25/yr for the updated maps and voice guidance. Well worth it in my opinion.
I really liked the big screen. Drawback was how to store it so it wouldn't fall as I was driving. Never quite figured that out. Now that I have an iPhone I don't use the iPad that much for GPS but I do like to take it out every once in a while. Reminds me of the big GPS screens in Japan.

I did not know about Mapquest though, will have to give that a try tomorrow when I go out to Houston.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
Im impressed how good mapquest app is on ipad. So i figure might as well sell my Garmin GPS, no use for it now. Anyone else selling or sold their reg GPS?

I sold my GPS last year when I bought the iPad ONE. I just saw a new product from RAM MOUNTS that holds the iPad between the driver and passenger so you can easily view a use it securely while driving. Last Friday I ordered the RAM-B-316-1-TAB3 which consists of a single socket arm, flex rod and Tab-Tite™ cradle. The base mounts to your passenger seat rail without any drilling necessary. Connected to the base is a 18" rigid flexible rod that can be bent to position your device to it's optimum viewing location.

Watch out you do not want the TAB 1 or TAB 2 but the latest TAB 3 with the RAM Tab-Tite™ as it is compatible with an iPad in a variety of cases including the original Apple folio case. You can charge and feed the earphone audio out to a dash audio system while the iPad is mounted in your car. The flexible arm can be folded down under the seat to hide its presence from urban street scum.

The RAM WEBSITE SAYS..."
The RAM Tab-Tite™ is compatible with the following tablets:
Apple iPad
Apple iPad 2
Apple iPad's with bumper or case including the Otterbox case
HP Slate
HP TouchPad
Lenovo LePad"

I have been a happy user of RAM products to hold ham radios and other gear while mobile. Many RAM mounts are military grade. Computer mounts in police cars are often RAM. I expect this particular new product to be a hit as tablet users become aware of it. My total cost shipped for the RAM-B-316-1-TAB3 kit was under $80. More later after I have used it for awhile.

RAM makes a windshield mount for a naked iPad, IMHO that is unwise as it takes up to much room in your forward vision. Also I do not trust suction cup mounts to hold on a hot day.

Ki4je

Sent from my iPad using iPF

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was considering using the iPad for car navigation.

The large screen size was both an attraction and a problem for me. Even though there are vehicle mounting solutions, I personally think that the iPad is just too big to use in a car.

I bought a 3.5" TomTom for $99 and it suits me perfectly. It does the job, it's easy to read and I can keep it in my pocket when I leave the car.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
I was considering using the iPad for car navigation.

The large screen size was both an attraction and a problem for me. Even though there are vehicle mounting solutions, I personally think that the iPad is just too big to use in a car.

I bought a 3.5" TomTom for $99 and it suits me perfectly. It does the job, it's easy to read and I can keep it in my pocket when I leave the car.

Dumb question but you need Internet access to be able to use the iPad as your gps in your car right? Cause iPad uses gps software and isn't an actual gps device.

ipadslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been pretty satisfied with navfree USA. It's free and doesn't rely on an internet connection to function.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I continue to use the one my husband bought me a a gift. iPad to big fir me to use as gps

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love a great big screen for navigation.. I used to use a laptop with an external GPS running Microsoft Streets and Trips software. With a large screen you can zoom out a couple of miles and see all the streets around you in great detail. You can zoom out farther to show a whole state and see all of the primary and secondary roads in detail.

Both my vehicles have enough room on the dash to hold the iPad so it has become my main nav device.. (I have a Magellan GPS unit with a 4.5 inch screen, but I don't use it any more. It lives in a closet).

I use the MotionX GPS Drive app. MotionX? | MotionX-GPS Drive HD Overview

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just downloaded and started using Navfree today. Works great and you don't need cell coverage. The price is right too...free.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dumb question but you need Internet access to be able to use the iPad as your gps in your car right? Cause iPad uses gps software and isn't an actual gps device.

Short answer to your question Tapmyapple, You don't need internet access to use navigation aps if you have a 3G iPad. The 3G iPad has GPS services.

ipadslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:

The application is free, but it does require a data connection to work.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the Tom Tom Apps several times while in UK. The apps should work in Western Europe. A bit expensive though but I guess the money spent is worth it. In every new place I visit, I use the apps to find my way, locate important places and find direction if in a car. The TOM TOM apps major problem with the iPad is how to position the ipad so it does not obstruct the driving. Since I use it mostly as a passenger then I do not have such problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts