What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad as an optimum TV remote control

Drvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suddenly my iPad can't change channels or basically do anything remotely. I can't locate anything to assist me. My iPad screen says, "your iPad needs to be paired with a cable box". This never happened before.
Please help. Thank you.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am unable to suggest a solution, bar the usual iPad reset, but which iPad?; which system version are you using?; what are you trying to control/ communicate with?

OP
D

Drvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am unable to suggest a solution, bar the usual iPad reset, but which iPad?; which system version are you using?; what are you trying to control/ communicate with?
I have Optimum wifi and cable TV service and an iPad 4. I have an optimum app on my iPad and have always been able to use it as a remote until yesterday. IOS 8.4

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried a reset? From manual page 154 (iPad User Guide for 8.1)
Reset iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Or you could try a network reset, on the same page
Reset iPad settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then choose an option:

• Reset All Settings: All your preferences and settings are reset.

• Erase All Content and Settings: Your information and settings are removed. iPad cannot be used until it’s set up again.

• Reset Network Settings: When you reset network settings, previously used networks and VPN settings that weren’t installed by a configuration profile are removed. (To remove VPN settings installed by a configuration profile, go to Settings > General > Profile, select the profile, then tap Remove. This also removes other settings or accounts provided by the profile.) Wi-Fi is turned off and then back on, disconnecting you from any network you’re on. The Wi-Fi and “Ask to Join Networks” settings remain turned on.
Failing the above, I am sure cleverer/ more knowledgeable suggestions will be along soon...

OP
D

Drvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a reset? From manual page 154 (iPad User Guide for 8.1)
Reset iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Or you could try a network reset, on the same page
Reset iPad settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then choose an option:

• Reset All Settings: All your preferences and settings are reset.

• Erase All Content and Settings: Your information and settings are removed. iPad cannot be used until it’s set up again.

• Reset Network Settings: When you reset network settings, previously used networks and VPN settings that weren’t installed by a configuration profile are removed. (To remove VPN settings installed by a configuration profile, go to Settings > General > Profile, select the profile, then tap Remove. This also removes other settings or accounts provided by the profile.) Wi-Fi is turned off and then back on, disconnecting you from any network you’re on. The Wi-Fi and “Ask to Join Networks” settings remain turned on.
Failing the above, I am sure cleverer/ more knowledgeable suggestions will be along soon...
I apologize as my questions might be a tad behind you. Although I have forsaken my PC for the iPad and have done so since the iPads inception, I would still consider myself a "noobie". Do you mind answering my unsophisticated queries ? Such as---------what exactly will "reset" do to all my data currently stored and in use ?
Humbly,
V

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First make sure your iPad and optimum TV are on the same wifi network. If they are both online and working then check your app settings to make sure they are properly set. If that is no help then try uninstalling and reinstalling the Optimum App.
If all of this sounds daunting to you , call the Optimum support line and hopefully they can walk you through. If that doesn't help, find the nearest 10 year old... (not being condescending, 10 year olds are really the experts with this stuff)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No apologies needed; this is what the forum is all about. I only bought our first iPad a little under a year ago and am learning all the time. Hence my reference to the more knowledgable, who are often in different time zones and hence may be asleep at present. (Sometimes I suspect that they do not sleep)

All the reset will do is clear caches in its simplest form (- expect more detailed answers soon!). It may mean passwords/ logins on your browser may need to be re -entered. All your data is safe, but a reset is usually the first port of call if things do not funtion as expected.

You may also find, under Settings, specific settings for the app you are using.
I hope this helps you.

OP
D

Drvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First make sure your iPad and optimum TV are on the same wifi network. If they are both online and working then check your app settings to make sure they are properly set. If that is no help then try uninstalling and reinstalling the Optimum App.
If all of this sounds daunting to you , call the Optimum support line and hopefully they can walk you through. If that doesn't help, find the nearest 10 year old... (not being condescending, 10 year olds are really the experts with this stuff)
Thanks so much. I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Somehow DVR BOX 6 appeared on the settings menu. I clicked on that and magically they were paired. BTW I only have two boxes, so----- go figure !!!

Most reactions