What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using ipad as a phone replacement

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody replaced their phone with a iPad 3G? If so, how is your experience?

I guess most people who do this use Skype. Of course, on the iPad1 you don't get video - but that's fixed on the iPad2. At present the Skype app is an iPhone app, but it works just fine on the iPad. I use it on my iPad1 with 3G and there's no problem at all. I typically use headphones to listen to the call and the iPad microphone to pick up my voice - that works fine.

In the US there are several other options too, with several third-party service providers offering free calls in the US and local area code numbers.

Did you have a particular app in mind?

Have fun and enjoy your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I guess most people who do this use Skype. Of course, on the iPad1 you don't get video - but that's fixed on the iPad2. At present the Skype app is an iPhone app, but it works just fine on the iPad. I use it on my iPad1 with 3G and there's no problem at all. I typically use headphones to listen to the call and the iPad microphone to pick up my voice - that works fine.

In the US there are several other options too, with several third-party service providers offering free calls in the US and local area code numbers.

Tim
Scotland

Thanx for responding. Do you have any problems with incoming calls? Meaning that when somebody calls you, do you always get a push notification on time? And are you able to answer their call before it sends them to your voice mail? I don't have an app in mind, skype would be just fine. I just hate carrying my phone with me. I barely use my phone maybe 10 minutes a week or something.

They time, I notice you answer to a lot of people on here. Do you run this website?

Also, how is the sound quality while using the iPads 3G service? How would you rate it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I guess most people who do this use . Of course, on the iPad1 you don't get video - but that's fixed on the iPad2. At present the Skype app is an iPhone app, but it works just fine on the iPad. I use it on my iPad1 with 3G and there's no problem at all. I typically use headphones to listen to the call and the iPad microphone to pick up my voice - that works fine.

Tim
Scotland

Thanx for responding. Do you have any problems with incoming calls? Meaning that when somebody calls you, do you always get a push notification on time? And are you able to answer their call before it sends them to your voice mail? I don't have an app in mind, skype would be just fine. I just hate carrying my phone with me. I barely use my phone maybe 10 minutes a week or something.

They time, I notice you answer to a lot of people on here. Do you run this website?

Also, how is the sound quality while using the iPads 3G service? How would you rate it?

Thanks for your post.

Incoming calls are definitely hit-and-miss! I have 3G, of course, but I can’t get push notification of an incoming call to work, so I have to keep the iPad on all the time and the app loaded. So it’s not that satisfactory from that point of view. I think, in the US, other Forum members have mentioned other services that seem to be better than Skype but they’re not available in the UK, unfortunately.

Call quality on Skype is perfect - no problems there. My 3G service provider only has 3G - i.e. no GPRS or EDGE - so I consistently get a good data rate. Not sure what quality would be like on lower data rates.

No - I don’t run iPad Forum - I’m just a guy with too much time on his hands!

Keep in touch and let me know what you decide.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Whistle works great, only drawback is it needs to be open to receive incoming calls.
It's free btw
I've got mine set to forward to my cellphone if I don't answer and have it set up as a mobile to mobile number (uses no plan minutes) on my cellphone
Works on 3g and wifi, good sound on both ends

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whistle works great, only drawback is it needs to be open to receive incoming calls.
It's free btw
I've got mine set to forward to my cellphone if I don't answer and have it set up as a mobile to mobile number (uses no plan minutes) on my cellphone
Works on 3g and wifi, good sound on both ends

Support Our Troops!!

Thanks - that was the service I was thinking of - it's not (yet?) available outside of the US. Thanks for your review.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
You can buy minutes for international calls and whistle to whistle calls are free world wide. Weird that I can call from here to you but you can't call from where you are to me

Support Our Troops!!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I talk to a few and they use Whistle. I hate it when they do that. It is a horrible connection ~ like in a static tunnel. :(

Why do folks use Whistle when they can just call from their cells at no charge? I am con......fused.:eek:

Reaction score
Because we can :D
Seriously I pay $110 a month + a required data plan and use my phone as a phone maybe an hour a month. If I can drop back to a pre paid and save some serious coin I'm there.
I've already got TextNow and have my phone set to forward to my Ipad and once my contract is up I may just drop back to pre pay as a phone and Ipad for texts and secondary phone

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wonder if a corded cell phone headset would make it sound better ,I know the Ipad doesn't support hfp for bluetooth so that option is out

Support Our Troops!!

Most reactions

Latest posts