What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Ipad 2 as GPS?

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good day, today I did this test... and it is fun.

Using the Ipad 2 as GPS and it did show your move instantly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtfOJAxLBEA]YouTube - (Ipad 2 Review - SL, Malaysia, part 2) Using Ipad 2 as GPS![/ame]

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used GPS on iPad starting with iPad 1's debut, but I find it less useful than a dedicated GPS in most instances. I've been using a Garmin for years and just bought a replacement.

OP
csllanna

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've used GPS on iPad starting with iPad 1's debut, but I find it less useful than a dedicated GPS in most instances. I've been using a Garmin for years and just bought a replacement.

Thank you, Kaykaykay.

Actually I seldom need GPS, but sometimes I need the map to show me the examination site. ^_^

OP
csllanna

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kind of the point of a GPS . . . .. Show where you are:D

GPS functions were the number 1 reason I bought a Ipad. I use it when flying, I'm a pilot. I also use it when I off road with my jeep.

Thank you, Rudinater, (or should I call you Captain?),

Just wonder, you can use the Ipad 2 during flying?

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For driving directions, I prefer my dedicated Garmin than my iPad.

OP
csllanna

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For driving directions, I prefer my dedicated Garmin than my iPad.

Thank you, Stefx.

Actually, I don't know much about GPS, because I seldom use it.

I am just wondering what is the different between Ipad 2 with other GPS? Anyone?

di772

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dianna

So what do you suggest I use for gaps? I didn't get 3G I have a droidx

Veritas4420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy a Garmin, it keeps me employed :) if you don't have 3G you can try the bad elf gps receiver, check it out on amazon, it has some pretty good reviews but it's a bit pricey at 99.99

DevinB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...I also use it when I off road with my jeep.

This is why I bought the 3g iPad2. What app do you use when you don't have cell coverage? I'd love to find a good one that lets you store google satellite images. MotionX GPS lets you store topo maps, but I'd love to have satellite views for when I get lost in Moab...

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This is why I bought the 3g iPad2. What app do you use when you don't have cell coverage? I'd love to find a good one that lets you store google satellite images. MotionX GPS lets you store topo maps, but I'd love to have satellite views for when I get lost in Moab...

I have yet to find a app that will store satellite images, they are just to large and the general public does not see the use of it.

I use the MotionX GPS and a Gamin 296 that I download Topo maps on to.

FYI Im loading up my jeep and will be heading out to Logan UT for the next 6 months or so. Might run into you in Moab or some other place.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Moab's great. I didn't find much need for a GPS there, though.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy a Garmin, it keeps me employed :) if you don't have 3G you can try the bad elf gps receiver, check it out on amazon, it has some pretty good reviews but it's a bit pricey at 99.99

Garmin overcharges for annual map upgrades ($50) and the new models are needlessly annoying. I prefer my old one to my new one, but wasn't able to find the same model any more. The ads on the new one are really annoying, and the interface is worse.

I'll keep buying standalone GPS devices, but probably will not get Garmin in the future. I recommend that others steer clear of the brand, too.

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotta say that, while I do own and often use my dedicated Garmin outdoor device, I would switch to any other brand if it were for sale here. I am most disgusted with Garmins horrible support, lack of decent 'device to iMac and vice versa' support, the slow chips and the most loveable of all features: when you load any new map, we will overwrite all others.

Having switched from 1 windoze PC to an iMac AND a macbook, I find myself not being able to use as I please on both my computers my very expensive official maps. Bah. I am no fan of Garmin at all.

There is no better alternative yet though.

*rant over*

On the topic of GPS on iPad, I use Waze (which I also use on my phone) when driving, for reasonably up to date traffic info and a little fun and banter. When I actually need directions though, I will use the Garmin, for it's far superior maps. The Garmin will not come with me everyday though, so every now and then I do take directions from Waze and it works out rather well. My only gripe is that the map is not up to date, as is in fact the case with most nav systems I know. I live in a completely newly built area, and my street does simply not (yet) exist on most maps. It does show on Waze, but has no street name attached and I cannot navigate to it.

Oh well, one day.....

Waze suits me well for my everyday needs, and iPad offers me the nice large display, so that now I can read the messages when they appear!

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Garmin overcharges for annual map upgrades ($50) and the new models are needlessly annoying. I prefer my old one to my new one, but wasn't able to find the same model any more. The ads on the new one are really annoying, and the interface is worse.

I'll keep buying standalone GPS devices, but probably will not get Garmin in the future. I recommend that others steer clear of the brand, too.

NEVER pay for Garmin GPS maps. You can download FREE maps at GPSFileDepot They have up to date street maps, trail maps marine maps, and topo maps. If you have a Garmin GPS and do not want to pay garmin's overpriced fee for maps check them out.

Rudys tip of the day:D

Most reactions

Latest posts