What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Gmail...

pinkandshoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand new to using iPad and know nothing about how to do anything! I am a gmail member and have realised that gmail has a different interface than when I normally log in on a desktop (so it's missing all my personalisation and has all the emails down the left hand side) and I don't really like it. Can anyone advise as to whether I can access the old one?

nemke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really sure

Not really sure what you mean but you can either access Gmail through the browser, add the gmail account to your email settings, or download the Google app...

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe they're referring to the web interface, it is much different on the iPad, via Safari, than the usual one you see on a desktop machine.

Have you tried adding your gmail account to your iPad, to access it in the regular mail app?

Sent from my favorite gadget!

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The browser app, iCab Mobile will allow you to change the ID that the browser sends - now telling the Gmail website that you are viewing on a mobile device - to an ID of some other browser (ie, Internet Explorer 8 ) In that way the returned page will be the same as if you viewed it from your big computer.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you scroll to the bottom of the email list you'll see some links. Desktop will take you to the normal desktop website. standard HTML will take you to a simplified HTML interface.

The desktop site is not 100% compatible with the iPad's browsers. Depending on what you try to do this may, or may not matter. The HTML site is 100% compatible and offers settings and options that the mobile site does not, but it is a bit ugly.

These same instructions may be of some help if you take Bingoldsby's advice about using iCab Mobile. Atomic is another good choice. Fewer features, but a bit cheaper.

To get the best integration of Google with the native iPad apps (Mail, Contacts, Calendar) set up you Google account as an Exchange account. When iOS 5 comes out this fall you may find the improvements int he Mail app will make it more desirable than using the site.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

BBQFritos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second setting up your gmail as an exchange account instead of using gmail. I myself love it because of the push mail feature. Never do I miss an important email from work or anything personally

vark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
since that we are on this subject matter, i wanted to ask something.

in my gmail using safari, i was unable to copy any content of my email. tried through Diigo browser also results to the same.

is this normal?

i'm having a very difficult time with this. my last choice would be adding the gmail into the Mail feature of the ipad but for now i just want my enterprise email on the ipad Mail.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are probably talking about received emails, not ones your are creating or forwarding, yes?

Because the displayed email isn't in an editable box selecting it is slightly different. Instead of tapping and holding as you would in an editor, double tap and hold on the second tap. This should select a paragraph or two, and then you can drag the handles to increase or decrease your selection.

In my experiments you do not have the fine control over selection that you do when editing. For instance you can't select words or sentences. Paragraphs or at the most lines are the the units you can deal with.

Still, when you paste it to you destination you can fine tune the resulting text there.

I've found that selecting stuff on a web page is erratic and unpredictable. Outside of an editable text field you never know if a single tap hold will work, or whether you need to double tap and hold. Also the way the selection handles work varies. It's probably a matter of whether you happen to tap on some HTML, CSS, or whatever code. It's almost impossible to tell by just looking at the page.

OP
P

pinkandshoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest what I really want to do is link ALL the apps and things I have on both devices, so things like a notes app I have are up to date on both (which I think would have happened if I'd set it up as a back up of the iPhone in the first place).

IrishPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To get the best integration of Google with the native iPad apps (Mail, Contacts, Calendar) set up you Google account as an Exchange account. When iOS 5 comes out this fall you may find the improvements int he Mail app will make it more desirable than using the site....

I found this post extremely helpful...thanks!

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am brand new to using iPad and know nothing about how to do anything! I am a gmail member and have realised that gmail has a different interface than when I normally log in on a desktop (so it's missing all my personalisation and has all the emails down the left hand side) and I don't really like it. Can anyone advise as to whether I can access the old one?

You can download the Bing app and go to Gmail via Bing. It looks similar to the laptop appearance

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

To keep my work email separate from my personal e-mails, I found this app called iMailG HD. It looks like the Google web version ... mostly. The iPhone version is free while the iPad one is $0.99 (USD).

It works for me. Maybe this'll help?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts