Using an iPad Air in temperatures between 32 and -30 f

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by PaulSch, Sep 17, 2014.

1. PaulSch

PaulSch
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Is anyone aware of a case that can provide heat when the iPad Air is used outside. I need a heated case to keep the device operational on the North Slope of Alaska.

Thanks!

2. PaulSch

PaulSch
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am aware of the thresholds. Need a case that will allow the iPad to work in temps that are between 32º and - 30º F. A heat source of some type is needed.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Maybe one of those zipper pouch kind, extra thick, with pockets inside? You could put some chemical hand warmers in the pouches.

You'd still have to limit the time you used the iPad with the case open. At -30ºF, there isn't a lot you can do to keep the iPad warm enough for extended use. The screen has to be exposed, and at the temps you are talking about it is going to lose heat fast.

Also, cold fingers don't work well on the iPad either. Those special touch gloves might be needed.

Hold in mind you are talking about using the device well outside it's recommended operating temperatures. It's inherently risky.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2101

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems I didn't delete my post early enough. I was a bit confused by the thread title.