What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a jailbroken iPad 1

Kilmashogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I purchased a second-hand iPad 1 as my first introduction to the world of the iPad. The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't install some favourite apps which I use on my desktop. I frequently found that I was being told that I'd need to upgrade to IOS 6 or 7 in order to install them. As you'll know, IOS 5.1.1 is as far as iPad 1 can be upgraded to.
I then discovered that I could jailbrake the iPad with a programme called Absynthe 2.0. It's a very easy-to-use process and everything went well. The declaration at the finish was: "Your iPad is jailbroken. Enjoy!"
Apparently this would now enable me to upgrade the IOS to one higher that the 5.1.1. So, I went into 'Settings' 'Software update' and after the iPad searched momentarily it declared "IOS 5.1.1. Your software is up-to-date'. I had hoped that in searching for an update it would find a higher IOS and install it.

Now, as I said, I'm totally new to the iPad scene and am wondering if there's something I should be pro-actively doing in order to use Cydia, or whatever, to break the restriction on upgrading the IOS or on installing Google Chrome, Viber, etc., on my iPad?

Any insights into this matter would be very welcome. Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that Jailbreaking will not enable you to upgrade your iOS to any version higher than iOS 5.1.1. If you want to use apps requiring a higher iOS version, you'll have to get a newer ipad.

The iPad 1 lacks the hardware capability to use the newer iOS versions.

OP
Kilmashogue

Kilmashogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. That's pretty clear. :)

Tell me, is there any advantage to me then in having a jailbroken iPad?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that. That's pretty clear. :)

Tell me, is there any advantage to me then in having a jailbroken iPad?
You can install third party software's to bypass the limitations apple made, so you can make changes in the OS system itself, but not entirely the OS system.

OP
Kilmashogue

Kilmashogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that, scifan57 - and Ser Aphim. I'll check out that link and also the iPad Hacking Forum.

Most reactions

Latest posts