What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a 10W charger, can it charge while using ipad?

boostme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went through all 23 pages and found nothing using the 10W wall charge on the iPad 4, but I found some useful info.

Long story short, I don't have the 12W wall unit nor the 8 pin cable.

I had an iPad 3 with a 9ft cable that charged when in use successfully so I purchased a 9 ft cable off eBay and lasted 2 days (cheap material maybe? I noticed it charged but battery still drained when in use. It did charge overnight though unmolested.

I am not sure if the brightness was lowered or not, so I am not sure if that contributed to not being able to charge when I was using it. I read the retina drains the battery even with it being on the charger.

Or if the 10W is sufficient to charge and use at the same time.
the eBay wall units don't say how many watts, so my question is..should I keep the 10W or buy a OEM 12W?

I plan on purchasing a new cable since I need one anyway. Any advice or suggestions are welcome

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't your iPad 4 come with a 12 watt charger? The 12 watt charger is supposed to be included with the iPad 4.

The 10 watt charger will charge the iPad 4 in about the same length of time as it takes to charge the iPad 3.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went through all 23 pages and found nothing using the 10W wall charge on the iPad 4, but I found some useful info.

Long story short, I don't have the 12W wall unit nor the 8 pin cable.

I had an iPad 3 with a 9ft cable that charged when in use successfully so I purchased a 9 ft cable off eBay and lasted 2 days (cheap material maybe? I noticed it charged but battery still drained when in use. It did charge overnight though unmolested.

I am not sure if the brightness was lowered or not, so I am not sure if that contributed to not being able to charge when I was using it. I read the retina drains the battery even with it being on the charger.

Or if the 10W is sufficient to charge and use at the same time.
the eBay wall units don't say how many watts, so my question is..should I keep the 10W or buy a OEM 12W?

I plan on purchasing a new cable since I need one anyway. Any advice or suggestions are welcome

I purchase Apple accessories, especially for things like chargers and cables..........
Never been disappointed and they just plain work.
Cost more? Yes, but they work!

I want something reliable that I can count on.......you've already got burned, so get the real thing and then you won't need to worry about it.

What happened to your OEM charger and cable?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about skipping eBay for cables? Too easy to get a poorly constructed cable that way. Best source, IMO, are amazon and monoprice.

The 12 W charger will charge both the 4th and 3th gen iPads a little faster than the 10W charger.

Whether you can use the iPad while on the charger and have it charge will depend on what you are doing. Run the screen too bright and use the GPS and the iPad may use energy faster than the charger can replace it. It's simple physics, really. Having the 12W charger is better for this than the 10W charger as the former supplies energy faster than the latter.

It is hard to give a definitive answer here because the answer is "it depends."

OP
B

boostme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a 3rd gen iPad and screen cracked. I had warranty on it so I took it back to best buy. They gave me a 4th gen iPad since they no longer carried the 3rd.

I didn't take the charger because I couldn't find it so they kept the new one.

I don't use the GPS on the iPad, plus its wifi.

I wanted a long cable for the convenience, but ill shop around on Amazon or buy OEM

Most reactions

Latest posts