What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using 3G iPad in China on China Unicom

cnuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling through China and staying at hotels in large cities. Can I use the wifi network at a hotel there as I would in the US with my IPAD?

cnuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paul, I will be in China and staying in large cities in hotels. Will I be able to use their wifis?

OP
P

pdb6251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The short answer is yes, but the long answer is that you might find the wifi locked and need to get an password from the front desk. I think you will find some hotels have free wifi and some don't. The larger foreign owned hotel chains will likely have free wifi in the lobby. Places like Starbucks usually have free wifi if you have a China Mobile SIM Card which you will want to get (if you don't already have). Even with a low cost prepaid China Mobile sim card you can get free wifi so it is worth having. And, the China Mobile (CMC) free wifi is nearly omnipresent - even in some hotel lobbies, and shopping malls.

The China Mobile wifi (usually tagged as Free-CMC or CMC-Free, or something like that) is available in a lot of places. When you see that wifi, connect to it, and a login / registration screen will pop up in your browser. You enter your local China Mobile phone number and a random number on the screen and China Mobile will send you a login password by text message to your phone. That password will work for 7 days and then you can request a new one. So I highly recommend having a CMC sim card even if it is just to get the free wifi.

Regards,
Paul.

arnoldkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rollmid.com
Just wondering if we could pull together a petition for a Cake Central iPhone app? Wishful thinking...wouldn't it be great to be able to pull p CC on my phone while waiting to get seen at the doctors, or look up my fave recipes when I'm at the grocery store

jockrobin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you can directly buy it and pay with Paypal on some Taobao agents; and China Unicom also get the cooperation with Taobao agent for expand their business. so you can get the China Unicom items, including iPad and IPhone in english easily through Taobao agent.

iPad3_User

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why suddenly I can't use of my 3G on my iPad after updating to iOS 6.0??

Good day!

I had been using my iPad3 for two months, right after iOS Ver 6.0 released the other day, I update my iPad3 3G (Cellular) +WiFi. But suddenly to my surprised, I can't access everything using my 3G. And that defeats the purpose of having purchased this unit for its 3G application.

I am using a China Unicom 3G SIM pack from day 1 of my iPad3. Right after using the SIM on that day, it works well with nothing to set up on the APN.
I have check the APN setting after update iOS to ver 6.0, it was indicated as below:

APN: 3gnet
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)

I tried the following, but isn't successful;
APN: 3gnet
Username: 3gnet
Password: 3gnet

APN: uninet
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)

Can someone help me please. Thank you in advance!

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha sorry to but into your thread. I worked for a uk telecoms company called Unicom too, but I got a disciplinary for joking with a customer by saying Unicom making U n I com together. I guess I can have a dirty mind when it comes to comedy. customer found it funny but my boss didn't. :)

APN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
travelling to shanghai

hi all,

thanks for sharing! especially the apn info

i will be traveling to shanghai soon for 10 days. for china unicom, any recommendation on the pre-paid 3G packages? i think 500mb for my 10 days trip would be good. does the SIM card allow us to make phone calls as well ?

is there any shop where i can get china unicom 3G pre-paid SIM in pudong airport ? thanks!

Most reactions