What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using 3G iPad in China on China Unicom

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In China, only China Unicom 3G sim card works on iPad since it adopts worldwide regular UTMS/WCDMA/HSPA network. Download/upload speed up to 7.2/5.76Mbps. Nationwide coverage. The APN setting, if iPad doesn't connect automatically, is:

APN: 3gnet
Username: leave it in blank or any words

For those iPad users who just pay a short vist to China, can choose to rent a iPad sim for use. The below links gives you a clue: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3grental

For those iPad users who stay in China for months or even years, can choose to buy prepaid iPad data packages. The below links gives you a clue: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3gsale

Hi maybe you confuse here and Taobao, is not a market place, don’t confuse the mind of the people here with your products , everything is already enough complicated in China , we do not need more with people try to win some money with their system or services

China Unicom Network setting

APN: uninet
Username: leave it in blank

For all foreigner in China, all other system or services is at your own risk and potential trouble ….so no need to come and ask for help if you try something and you get problem

ipad 3gsolutions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.3gsolutions.com.cn
In China, only China Unicom 3G sim card works on iPad since it adopts worldwide regular UTMS/WCDMA/HSPA network. Download/upload speed up to 7.2/5.76Mbps. Nationwide coverage. The APN setting, if iPad doesn't connect automatically, is:

APN: 3gnet

For those iPad users who just pay a short vist to China, can choose to rent a iPad sim for use. The below links gives you a clue: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3grental

For those iPad users who stay in China for months or even years, can choose to buy prepaid iPad data packages. The below links gives you a clue: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/ipad3gsale

Hi maybe you confuse here and Taobao, is not a market place, don’t confuse the mind of the people here with your products , everything is already enough complicated in China , we do not need more with people try to win some money with their system or services

China Unicom Network setting

APN: uninet

For all foreigner in China, all other system or services is at your own risk and potential trouble ….so no need to come and ask for help if you try something and you get problem

Thanks for reminding but I am quite clear what here this website does mean. I just make visitors easily access the information they need and possibly allow us a chance to provide our services to those who do need them just as you do. I believe this website acts as a useful platform for people to exchange ideas, search helpful information... and does deliver visitors benefits and finally more and more visitors like this place.

Your above post do confuse people's mind here.

Everyone can make a judgement by himself/herself. Thanks for your kindly reminding. But people don't like being intimidated.

Craigbolland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all!

Am writing from my iPad using unicom 3G in Dali as I write this.

Here's how I did it. Hopefully this will be useful to some.

My wife and I are spending our honeymoon in beautiful Yunnan. Last night we made our first stop in jinghong. An iPad is a fantastic way to make local friends, by the way! In the remoter ref ions, expect it to be an object of some fascination. Play a game of air hockey with one of the kids and you're all set. Very friendly people here.

We went to the local unicom store in Jinhong and asked for a 3G data plan for the iPad. Prepaid, no contracts. The prices varied from 66¥ up, but I opted for 300¥ for 10 gig of data. This was the most expensive option, but having things like google maps etc is a blessing so far. The people at the store had never done this before so there was about an hour delay while they made various calls, looked stuff up on the computer, etc. In the end they cut the sim with something that looked like a hole punch, fitted it, and voilà!

Celular data on, roaming off, and The apn is set to 3gnet.

I'm switching it to airplane mode when not in use, but so far it seems to be using the right amount of data. The speed is quite slow here in Dali, but I'm happy it is working at all.

Craigbolland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed the apn to uninet, per a suggestion above, and it seems to have slowed the connection somewhat.

A handy app to have is called VPN express also. Works a Treat.

Bye!

Last edited:

feigeiway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the Zhejiang province, Ningbo, Cixi, and just bought a 3G sim and modem from China Unicom for 1200. 80 rmb for 1GB of national roaming data. I also pay 20 rmb a month for 2GB of data in the Zhejiang province. So total it comes out to 100 rmb for 3GB of data per month total. So if I stay within 3GB of usage per month the 1200 rmb I paid would last me one year.

mmathias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 3G in China

I'm going to China in Aug 2011 for about 3 weeks. While I have an iPad 2 3G for AT&T, the AT&T international data rates are essentially US$1/1Mb. Very pricey.

I'd like to pick up a Micro-SIM and a prepaid or monthly account in Beijing that I can use in my iPad for the time I'm there and not on WiFi.

I've been told that Micro SIMs are available at mobile shops and China Unicom offers iPad data plans.

Can someone please confirm this and offer me actual sources in Beijing for both of these items...perhaps a chain or store either at the airport or in Beijing where I can pick this up quickly and reliably? I don't have a day or two to run around finding sources and then ending up with something that doesn't work.

My preference would be to have everything set up in advance so that when I land, I can pop out the U.S. AT&T SIM, pop in the new Micro-SIM, configure the account and start going. (I can always dream, can't I?)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark

mmathias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 3G in China

I'm heading to China for about 3 weeks in Aug 2011. I have an iPad 2 3G (AT&T) that I'd like to use there. It uses the Micro-SIM chips.

Does anyone have information about the following:

1) Where in Beijing (my first stop) can I pick up a Micro-SIM card?

2) What data plans are available from China Unicom (or another provider if recommended)? Is there a URL link to the plans...hopefully in English?

3) Where can I sign up for a monthly or pre-paid data plan for my iPad 2...again in Beijing?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark

OP
P

pdb6251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All things considered I believe the best place to get the micro sim is from the Bai Nao Hui (Buy Now computer market) if you don't speak chinese. I have never found a China Unicom dealer that speaks English - not to say there aren't any but I have never found one. However, at the market, as soon as you are spotted carrying an iPad you will likely have someone offer to sell you a sim. They offer better pricing than the regular China Unicom shops and you can trust them to give you what you need.

Alternatively, and now that the iPad is sold in the Apple store in Beijing you might want to start there and see if they have SIMs or they might steer you to somewhere close to there. The Apple store is in "Village" at Sanlitun. Your hotel concierge should be able to give you a address card for the Village and or Buy Now.

I feel compelled to point out that everything in China takes a lot longer than you think so be prepared for getting a sim to consume a day. It might not but be prepared for it to.

Lastly, when I bought my last one they still did not have micro sims. So they cut it down with a punch specifically made for that purpose. It works well and is reliable. I have cut down so many I bought my own punch. And, I have never had a problem.

mmathias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Will vendors at the Bai Nao Hui also be able to provide me with a data plan along with a SIM? But I just might try to find the Apple store. I'll have to see how far each is from my hotel. Beijing if a big place...

OP
P

pdb6251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just about everything in Beijing is prepaid including almost all telecommunications services. So the sim you buy will be a prepaid on with some amount of prepaid data services. The last one I bought was 1200rmb which provided a minimum of 1g of data for 80 rmb per month. If you use more data than that it will consume the credits faster. If you use it minimally it will last 15 months.

Yes, wherever you buy one they will be able to tell you the options.

Paul.

mmathias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paul,

Thank you for the update. Any recommendations for vendors to go to? Apparently our hotel's address is No. 83A Jian Guo Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100025. Something nearby would be great.

Regards,
Mark

OP
P

pdb6251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mark,

Not too far from your hotel (5 minutes by taxi) is the silk market. On the 4th floor of the silk market there are a few electronics merchants that would likely have the sim cards. They will speak English. It is a very touristy location but is one option. While your hotel is in the greater CBD there will not be a lot of English spoken in that area in the shops.

You might want to see if the concierge at your hotel can help you and get the sim for you from a merchant in the area of your hotel. That will be the very simplest solution for you. Otherwise, the only place I can guarantee you can get one is the buy now market.

Good luck.
Paul

Fcemonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check credit

How do you check credit when using china unicom prepaid internet for ipad?

Jokoko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weird

Hi guys!

I've had a look on all yur previous messages and it was pretty interesting and useful.
But it didn't really answer to my questions.

Let me explain you my pb: I bought few weeks ago an ipad2 3G in San Francisco during a trip and came back to Tianjin (china) the place where I live. Yesterday I went to china unicom office store and ask for a 3G card for my iPad. Knowing that I won't spend my full days on it, I asked for the basic solution viz. 80元 a month for 4GB. The girl just cut a card and gave it to me for 115元. I put it into the iPad and it directly worked (no need any password and username).

But, what I got seems completely different than what I could have read into the previous discussion:
- it seems I got a prepaid card as there is no contract at all. But according to what I have read on your discussions, the price is about 1200元. Why this difference?
- When my credit is over, how to put some money again on it? Via Internet, phone call or shall I have to go to china unicom office store? The girl from the shop gave me the piece of the card from which the sim card has been cut and she showed me some numbers on it and especially one number starting by "145...". I guess it can be useful when I need to re-credit my card. If you can tell me your view on this, it would be helpful....

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Jokoko

Most reactions