What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uses for a junk iPad 2

Peter4045

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good afternoon

First post here. I have an iPad 2, purchased 18 months ago, the touch screen appears to have failed and it's no longer useable because of multiple "bald areas" on the touchscreen which don't respond to touch. It's probably not worth paying to have it repaired, even if this is possible, so I will probably junk it. But before I do so, I was wondering: does anyone have any ideas for re-purposing it? For example, it has 32 GB of memory, so could I use it as a 32 GB memory stick, and if so, how?

Thank you!

Peter

Bacardi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try a new touch screen(digitizer). Quite cheap on eBay, and loads of guides around to do it.

Skumchops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will buy that from you. Send me your email in a PM and we can discuss a price and I can Paypal you for it. Do not take it apart. That 32gb of ram is super cheap flash memory and costs apple like $1.99 to buy/make but they charge a premium for customers to get the higher capacity models. They make lots more money on the 64gb models.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes...any business of selling or buying, we ask that it continue through email to each other and not on this forum, please.

We hope you all understand that this is a privately owned Forum and that it is not a resale site.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd take it to an Apple store and hope they offer to replace it for free or sell you a new replacement at deep discount. Then you can keep the replacement or sell for a better price than the junk one is worth.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
18 months isn't very long. Geesh, I hope mine doesn't have that problem. I'm just six months away from 18 months. I've been using a screen protector the whole time though. Hopefully that helps avoid this issue.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I had an iPad I felt I could junk, I'd repair it myself. Nothing like the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
18 months isn't very long. Geesh, I hope mine doesn't have that problem. I'm just six months away from 18 months. I've been using a screen protector the whole time though. Hopefully that helps avoid this issue.

My iPad 1 is still going strong at about 2.5 years, though the limits of its hardware are showing in slowness and crashes. No screen protector ever.

My iPad 2 seems more likely to give out quality wise. It got a couple of dead white pixels, which I lived with, and another dead white one recently appeared. The touch screen seems fine, though. I've had mine since near debut for the 3G model and have never used a screen protector.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peter4045

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions!

Thanks for those suggestions guys! I think I will try the eBay touch screen replacement idea.

It just goes to show that newer is not always better. After my 18 month old iPad died, I went back to using my 12 year old IBM ThinkPad which is still going strong (if a little slow).

Peter

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
My iPad 1 is still going strong at about 2.5 years, though the limits of its hardware are showing in slowness and crashes. No screen protector ever.

My iPad 2 seems more likely to give out quality wise. It got a couple of dead white pixels, which I lived with, and another dead white one recently appeared. The touch screen seems fine, though. I've had mine since near debut for the 3G model and have never used a screen protector.

Good to know. I understand hardware limitations eventually getting us all but I don't want to hear about one year life spans for iPads!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions guys! I think I will try the eBay touch screen replacement idea.

It just goes to show that newer is not always better. After my 18 month old iPad died, I went back to using my 12 year old IBM ThinkPad which is still going strong (if a little slow).

Peter

ThinkPads are amazing. The only one I've managed to kill involved a glass of wine, knocked into the keyboard. I've had other laptops over the years, but ThinkPads have served me best. Love them.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
ipad.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts