What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use Bluetooth headset with video camera?

Tomscave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to use a bluetooth microphone instead of the built-in mic when recording video? Is there an app that allows this? I've researched and couldn't find an answer. I'm sure it's an Apple limitation on bluetooth. Maybe iOS 5 will change that, but most likely not.

Last edited:

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jambox has a built-in Bluetooth mic that I've used with Skype. Haven't tried with video. Might work.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wokiebear said:
Jambox has a built-in Bluetooth mic that I've used with Skype. Haven't tried with video. Might work.

How did you do this? Last time I checked Skype did not support Bluetooth. ??? I have a Jambox but must connect by wire to Skype with it.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never gave it a thought, and just tried it again. I connected the JB to my iPad, then started Skype, and it worked....sound and the built in mic. To use the mic you do have to press the talk button., but it worked.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wokiebear said:
I never gave it a thought, and just tried it again. I connected the JB to my iPad, then started Skype, and it worked....sound and the built in mic. To use the mic you do have to press the talk button., but it worked.

Let's be clear here. When you say "connected" do you mean with the supplied plug in connector wire or paired as a wireless Bluetooth speaker?

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wokiebear said:
No, connect via Bluetooth before starting Skype.

Sorry, but Skype does not support Bluetooth on the iPad. I just tried it again and read on the Skype support site that it doesn't work with Bluetooth devices. You must have the magic touch. From the Skype support site:

The following features are not currently supported:

Sending files
Group video calling
Importing contacts from native iPad Contacts
Showing favorite contacts
Bluetooth devices

Last edited:

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good news! The latest Skype for iPad update added Bluetooth for the ipad2. Skype can now be used with my Jambox without the wire. Yay!

Jimmy80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news! The latest Skype for iPad update added Bluetooth for the ipad2. Skype can now be used with my Jambox without the wire. Yay!

Does that mean we can now use a bluetooth headset including the micro, fully functional, directly on the ipad 2 with applications like skype ?? Or do you still need the Jambox ?

thank you

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jimmy80 said:
Does that mean we can now use a bluetooth headset including the micro, fully functional, directly on the ipad 2 with applications like skype ?? Or do you still need the Jambox ?

thank you

I would assume that any Bluetooth device would work if it is discoverable by the iPad. I can only speak for the Jambox speaker that I own. The problem in the past was that the Skype app was not set up for any Bluetooth device to work with it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Skype supports the Jabra Easygo BT headset, as well as allowing the BT Apple keyboard to share the connection.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS:

Are you saying that you can use the Jabra headset, wirelessly - and be able to talk and hear (on Skype) using just the headset?

As in, you're not using the iPad microphone? As in, I could/can move away from the iPad and still be able to talk/hear on Skype?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Marilyn

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
KevinJS:

Are you saying that you can use the Jabra headset, wirelessly - and be able to talk and hear (on Skype) using just the headset?

As in, you're not using the iPad microphone? As in, I could/can move away from the iPad and still be able to talk/hear on Skype?

Marilyn

That is correct. However, I was only able to check audio, so I don't know whether the Jabra will work with a video call.

When you switch to BT the iPad speaker is muted, btw.

The interesting thing about the Jabra is that it supports two devices simultaneously. I usually use it for my iPhone and work phone, but switched it over for the purpose of this conversation. $48 from Walmart and it works a treat.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
KevinJS:

Marilyn

Would really like the answer to this too.

Most reactions

Latest posts