What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB stick for document backupH

terryjane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an ipad 2 with no 3G. I will be several months in a fairly remote part of India where I would like to use it mainly for writing longish documents in Pages. My concern is backup. Without access to wi fi, or icloud, and no USB port, how can I back up my documents? In this forum and others there have been posts about the Cameral Connection Kit, but they are all aimed at people who want to import music or videos from a USB stick rather than export a document to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Terry

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an ipad 2 with no 3G. I will be several months in a fairly remote part of India where I would like to use it mainly for writing longish documents in Pages. My concern is backup. Without access to wi fi, or icloud, and no USB port, how can I back up my documents? In this forum and others there have been posts about the Cameral Connection Kit, but they are all aimed at people who want to import music or videos from a USB stick rather than export a document to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Terry

Unfortunately, you can't use the CCK to save documents to.

However, there are two products that you may want to research: Air Stash or GoFlex Satellite (by Seagate). Both of these products claim to be usable as external storage for the iPad that create their own wireless link to the iPad- no Internet required. Both of these devices have a free app in the App Store for easy access to their functions.

I've not used nor am I familiar with either one. I only know their names from what I read on the Interwebz; I don't even know the pricing or storage size. so, all I can suggest is have a good Google session.

But, maybe this'll give you an idea. Good luck and safe travels.

Marilyn

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is also the option of using a wifi hotspot to access cloud storage or your own ftp network attached storage.
You can purchase a stand-alone wifi hotspot and access plan (google wifi hotspot) or use a smartphone that includes a wifi hotspot.
You can also tether your iPad to a compatible phone. But, be sure your phone is compatible with the iPad. There may be extra charges for tethering. Check with your phone plan provider.
Data transfer at 3g will be slower than at 4g. So if 4g is available where you're going, consider paying the extra to have it and make sure the hardware you have will support it. Newer models of stand-alone wifi hotspots and phones usually do.

OP
T

terryjane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, but I think they are probably too high tech for me. We are talking about remote areas in India where if you even found an internet connection it would so super slow. Many areas out of the larger cities don't even have reliable 3G, never mind 4G. I need something that can back up to a USB stick or similar, and can plug into mains to be charged rather than a computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts