What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB flash drive

whomadewho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is it possible (perhaps with a card reader) to access & read a flash drive memory stick on my ipad2 as you can on a P.C

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - at most you'd be able to upload photos to the iPad. But you cannot use it as an external 'hard drive'.

Tim

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
whomadewho said:
Hi all,
Is it possible (perhaps with a card reader) to access & read a flash drive memory stick on my ipad2 as you can on a P.C

I am able to watch videos and play music from the 1gb flash drive I have. It is a microcenter brand flash drive. I am going to go to the store this weekend to try out a 16 or 32gb before I buy. I have a 64gb iPad but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to be able to use a memory stick like an external drive.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am able to watch videos and play music from the 1gb flash drive I have. It is a microcenter brand flash drive. I am going to go to the store this weekend to try out a 16 or 32gb before I buy. I have a 64gb iPad but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to be able to use a memory stick like an external drive.

Hi Jawbraker - you might want to explain exactly how you have accomplished the above? The CCK (Camera Connection Kit) which I own will allow one to attach either a SD card (from a digital camera recognizing the DCIM directory) or an USB plug in again from a digital camera; I've tried to put other USB drives into the latter connection device but w/o success; so, please explain how you are achieving these claims - thanks. :)

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what app, and accessories, do you use to watch videos via USB?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Jawbraker - you might want to explain exactly how you have accomplished the above? The CCK (Camera Connection Kit) which I own will allow one to attach either a SD card (from a digital camera recognizing the DCIM directory) or an USB plug in again from a digital camera; I've tried to put other USB drives into the latter connection device but w/o success; so, please explain how you are achieving these claims - thanks. :)

Only capable via a jb iPad with ifile from cydia.

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have ifile... may i know what the next steps are? thank you.

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jawbraker said:

Incidentally, I went back to the store with my ipad2 to try larger flash drives and nothing higher than a 2gb would work from the ones they had out at register. I forgot that I have a 16gb micro sd for my ancient blackberry phone that also works so I don't have to use a flash although I would prefer one. I like being able to hang it on keychain or around my neck when at school.

I was a little confused about the flash drives though. I thought that they wouldn't work if they had lights or LEDs. Both the 1and 2gb drives both have lights so what is pulling the power to make it say it needs too much for the iPad to handle it?

Cdstegall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I read it has to do with the power requirements of the USB drive. Out of 5 I had in a drawer 1 worked with the camera kit USB connector.

Most reactions