What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Connection

newt0nsbump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know there is no USB port on the Original IPad, but I need to interface with a USB headset (mic and headphones) as provided by Rosetta Stone. Is there an Apple connector-to-female USB cable to allow this? There is, of course, an app to allow Rosetta Stone on the iPad and iPhone. Thanks!

newt0nsbump

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
newt0nsbump said:
I know there is no USB port on the Original IPad, but I need to interface with a USB headset (mic and headphones) as provided by Rosetta Stone. Is there an Apple connector-to-female USB cable to allow this? There is, of course, an app to allow Rosetta Stone on the iPad and iPhone. Thanks!

newt0nsbump

I'm afraid that there is no way to connect a USB accessory to your iPad. Maybe finding a headphone/mike that plugs into the headphone jack will work.

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

newt0nsbump

As powerful as the iPad is, it is not compatible with desktop apps like Rosetta Stone, so aside from not being able to connect their headset, you will not be able to run the application directly on the iPad either.

Rosetta Stone does offer an iPad "application" that will let you access their "TOTALe" course though:

TOTALe Course HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store

But aside from providing only access to their content over a working internet connection, it also requires you to sign up for a monthly subscription service in order to use it.

OP
N

newt0nsbump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know about the iPad app since I am going to use the Totale option but I need to be able to speak and hear through a headset to make use of it. This is apparently no problem iPad 2 and 3 and despite the lack of a direct USB connection I cannot believe there is no way to interface with an external headset.

D

dvdcatalyst

I know about the iPad app since I am going to use the Totale option but I need to be able to speak and hear through a headset to make use of it. This is apparently no problem iPad 2 and 3 and despite the lack of a direct USB connection I cannot believe there is no way to interface with an external headset.

What about a bluetooth headset. It will not be Rosetta-certified, but it should do the trick.

guo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can only think of bluetooth equipment

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? The original Apple headset works just fine on iPad 1, ear piece and mic. I've used it a thousand times on Skype calls and it works perfectly.

johnodd4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
am i missing something as well??????

there is a Ipad usb dock converter it converts the dock clip to usb but the ipad was designed with a headset and mic jack in one port the headphone jack on the ipad also has built in mic functions so why bluetooth???

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the idea of a Bluetooth is to make things simpler. It doesn't matter if it wired or not. Just a preference for the owner.

Most reactions