What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Charging

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone remember way back last year, an app which alowed you to charge your iPad from your computer via a usb port? I seem to remember it allowed for the low chrging capacity of some computers??

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using it all the time. It will let you charge from any USB on any PC ? And it is not slow. It is almost like from a regular charger.
It is called " ASUS Ai Charger "

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it was an asus app. By default USB ports are limited to supply 500mA of power, this allows more somehow. Still, your ipad, when hte screen is off, will charge when connected to the usb port, you just can't see it.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
If your motherboard is NOT an ASUS motherboard, you risk harming both the computer and anything hooked up to it via USB. That application is meant for specific hardware and when you start changing voltages for ports, you risk a short.

If you really HAVE to charge via USB, get a powered USB hub or just keep the screen off on the iPad. Standard USB ports still charge (with the screen off), but just as a slower rate.

OP
Grandad

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somerled said:
If your motherboard is NOT an ASUS motherboard, you risk harming both the computer and anything hooked up to it via USB. That application is meant for specific hardware and when you start changing voltages for ports, you risk a short.

If you really HAVE to charge via USB, get a powered USB hub or just keep the screen off on the iPad. Standard USB ports still charge (with the screen off), but just as a slower rate.

Yes thanks for that I thought there may well be a good reason not to use it. Even if the risk is low I will give it a miss. But thanks guys for reminding me of the App!

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I concur. In my case, since I happen to have an iPhone, I charge my Iphone off the computer all the time, and have a power port nearby that I then plug my iPad in for charging, but I use the same USB cord to sync my iPad so that it's all in the same area to make it as simple as possible. I just leave my USB charger plugged into the USB port all the time so quick sync of the iPad then on to the charger from there. Ends up not being a big deal.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When my iPad 1 says it's not charging it actually charging.

Most reactions

Latest posts