What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Camera tethering

Melka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

I'd like to use my iPad as a screen to get previews of my photos immediately after i take them.
This is something many photographers are looking for, and it seems easy. Well it's not.

What works :
  • Eye-fi card to transmit pictures to an ipad through wi-fi : but it is way to slow
  • Use a Raspberry Pi with a wifi dongle between the camera and the ipad : but it seems overkill
My camera communicates in PTP mode (if it worked in mass storage, there would be no problem) via the USB cable and the Camera Connection Kit.
When i plug my camera and click, the iPhoto app opens and allow me to select and download the new photo.
I'd like to do this automatically !

I know that gphoto2 works on linux-based OS and is a great tool to do what i want.
Is there a way to compile and make it work on ios ?

Thanks for your help :)

jshep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may want to check out TetherFly by Tether Tools. I saw it in action at the PhotoPlus show last week and it was really sweet.

Most reactions