What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Cable

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am ready to backup my iPad 2 to my PC. I need to buy the correct USB cord. What specific type do I want? I have male-to-male for my PC but I assume I need an Apple to Windows type.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The cable you use for charging is ideal. Just plug it into a USB2.0 and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm... "looking at the charging cable"... I see the end that goes into this iPad, the other fits into a USB port on my PC... Thank you!

Do you recommend any program to make this easier, and/or to back it ALL up despite Apple restrictions? ""(yes, I've been reading!')

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Pinkipad2 - I have the iPad2; the charging cable end removed from the charging block will fit into the USB port of your computer - I'm assuming that you have iTunes on your computer - correct? If not, that is the program used to 'back up' your iPad to a computer w/ a cabled connection. Of course, this can now be done w/ a 'wireless' choice or even in the cloud - please explain your reservations and post back if you still have other questions. :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Duh, I feel dumb.. I put iTumes on my laptop yesterday just for this.

Clouds seem vulnerable. I can protect my laptop but not a clue how to protect this iPad or someone's cloud.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Pinkipad2 - well w/ iTunes on your laptop, you can cable the iPad as already discussed and then perform sync/backup of the device - there is plenty of information on the web, e.g. CHECK HERE for a PC Mag article which is short & concise; there is also an explanation using Wi-Fi for a wireless backup if that may interest you. Of course, the cloud is still an option but you seem reluctant to use that choice; BTW, I'm still doing a cabled backup to iTunes. Good luck and please post back if questions persist! :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tonight I can't try a backup to PC but I will investigate iCloud backup -- thank you for that link. It left me thinking! I think I will use both methods. I will just have to transfer the backup file from PC to external hard drive. I'm still a little concerned about emails I have saved from all accounts. I save emails from AOL, gMail and mail.com. My emails on my server accounts are safe. Can iTunes be, uhhmm, programmed to backup certain files/folders?

Most reactions