US Senator fights for the right to use the iPad from takeoff to landing

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mrcupu

mrcupu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    i hate it when they told me to shut my psp :p

2. volcanopele

volcanopele
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not a huge fan of Senator McCaskell but on this issue I definitely agree with her. Yes, there are far worse things to deal with on a daily basis, but this inconvenience is completely unnecessary. I can understand airplane mode needing to be set during this period, but turning devices off all together, sorry but it just isn't.

And to those making the comment about how we should just be able to put down our devices for 5 minutes, again, but no, I shouldn't haven't to. What you may see as just as screen, I see as a way to read books and magazines, a privilege people who have physical versions of those products can do under 10,000 feet, but I, who reads digital books and magazines cannot because of this idiotic rule.

3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    If this were put into practice, how would flight attendants tell whether everyone had their devices set to airplane mode? I don't figure you'd be thrilled by some kind of manual check of everyone's devices.

4. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Those of you who think that even half the mobile phones in baggage, purses, pockets and carry ons are turned off or in airplane mode must not fly very often...

Planes do not crash because of mobile phones.

The so-called study of the effect of mobile phones was done in a lab in the UK and the results were inconclusive.

The FAA has never done their own study.

Interference with avionics is a non issue.

5. miket5au

miket5au
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You avoided mentioning Mythbusters! Hopefully no one is going to flame you for it!

To those criticising others about not being able to turn off their device for five minutes... That is called playing the man and not the ball.

6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I fly pretty frequently, but that has nothing to do with whether I know whose devices are turned on or off. All I can see is whether someone's device is put away or not, lol.

Personally, I don't think having devices on will make planes crash, but I also can live without having my devices on every minute. To me, having them off for a short time is the non-issue.

7. volcanopele

volcanopele
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    How do they check to see if you actually turned off your devices now instead of just turning off the screen and putting your iPad in the seat pocket in front of you? I do at least put my devices in airplane mode first... and pray that no notifications go off...

8. Al Rogers

Al Rogers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Surely you jest?..

9. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I wish our UK politicians were so diligent and forthcoming when dealing with such pressing issues! There again, they are :D
    Just in case I am taken seriously, only kidding ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    They can't tell, which is why I think planes don't crash with devices on -- there probably are a good number who don't turn off their devices; they're probably just in sleep mode.

The thing is, no federal bureaucrat is willing to say, OK everyone turns on their devices, and risks anything happening on his watch, tests or no tests.

Randomly, have you seen some of the knockoff devices coming out of Asia? Some of those things are totally untested, unregulated. Who knows what a bunch of those might do? Maybe they'd set off the smoke alarms, lol.