US Senator fights for the right to use the iPad from takeoff to landing

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Mar 10, 2013.

By RaduTyrsina on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  1. RaduTyrsina

Expand Collapse
    News Team

Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks Received:
    We have all been there, eager to check our electronic devices but unable to do so when we’re on a plane, so we have to wait to land, in order to see if we received that important message or email. After such a particularly unsatisfactory experience, Missouri Democrat, Senator Claire McCaskill, wrote a letter to the FAA Administrator Michael Huerta, in which she mentioned her concern related to the “lack of engagement†directed to the problem of prolonging the use of electronic devices while flying. She claimed that the current rule of passengers being prohibited to use even their iPods while the jet is in motion is absolutely “preposterousâ€.

Of course, if the FAA accepts to change rules, they will not apply this to smartphones or cell phones in generally, but to tablets such as the iPad, music players and other non harmful devices. Some might wonder what a Senator might know about air travel safety, but she assured everyone saying that neither members of the public nor lawmakers consider that the FAA regulations are about safety anymore.

McCaskill started tackling the issue back in December when she highlighted the “intransigence†of the FAA regarding electronic devices, especially since flight crews will be allowed to use “electronic flight bags†on board while the plane is in motion.

The response of the FAA was pretty vague, stating that they too share the McCaskill’s intent of “taking a fresh look at the issuesâ€. However, the response was not to McCaskill’s liking. She still maintains:

“Simply put, electronic devices that are currently allowed above 10,000 feet should be allowed for use during all phases of flight. It is preposterous to think that an e-reader in a passenger’s hands during takeoff is any more a threat to other passengers or crew members than a hardback book.â€

Source: Politico
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Good karma
      Good karma
    2. AQ_OC
      People are ignoring the rules and using all sorts of electronic devices on planes during takeoff and landing. Well, everyone expect me. :)
    3. thewitt
      The FAA tests were never actually done by the FAA to begin with...

They were performed in a lab environment in the UK.

The radio frequencies used to interfere with the avionics were transmitted at power levels far exceeding what can be achieved with a cell phone.

There are no technical reasons why portable electronics are not allowed during all stages of flight.
    4. AQ_OC
      A cell phone? What about when there are 300 cell phones?
    5. s2mikey
      I blame it on this day and age of people not being able to put down their gadget for more than five seconds. My goodness. Take a chill pill, people. How did the world ever sustain itself prior to instant communication feedback? Geesh....
    6. AQ_OC
      I have to agree with you on this....whether there is potential for bringing the plane down or not (very probably not), people ought to get a grip and follow the rules until they can be changed. If a plane went down due to interference due to radiating gadgets, everyone would be ready to sue.
    7. cwinter
      I'm glad our politicians are tackling the most pressing issues the country faces, such as not being able to use ones iPad at all stages of the flight; an issue affecting the vast majority of the people and causing incomprehensible grief and anguish. I feel my tax dollars are being spent wisely.
    8. Sonicrobby
      I don't understand why people just can't wait 5 minutes until they are in the air. My opinion is people are too addicted to their electronics nowadays... Here's an idea, have a conversation with the person next to you, make new friends instead of staring into a screen like its your soul :p
    9. iJamesH
      Wait until Sen McCaskill's plane goes down because she had to play Angry Birds!