What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urgent help needed to find evidence of snooping.

Guineapig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will try to be brief.

I've been tipped off that my ex has gained unauthorised access to my Yahoo email, which I'm logged into on an ipad she has. She has screenshotted messages and has probably been reading all of my email for about a year - I have only just been tipped off by one of her friends.

I've asked for the iPad tonight for an innocuous reason so that I can check. She will probably have done what she can to cover tracks but where do I begin to look for proof? Will deleted screenshots be retrievable? Anything else?

Thank you so much in advance. I'm not iPad savvy at all so will need novice level instructions please!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums!

If she deleted the screenshots, they could also be in the "Recently Deleted" album in your Photos app. If you can't find anything there, they can't be retrieved (if she really did take screenshots of your emails). If you use PhotoStream or iCloud Photo Library, the images are not in a backup, so it won't be possible to get them back when restoring from a backup.

You could also take a look at cloud storage apps (OneDrive, Google Photos,...). Pictures can be loaded to these from the Photos app.

Other than that, you won't be able to get proof/be sure that she read your emails and took screenshots.

If you don't want her to see your emails, delete the account from your iPad. Also, remove the password from Safari, or else she can access the account online.

OP
G

Guineapig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response :)

OK, will try those. There is no doubt that she has, it's just a matter of trying to establish some evidence so that I can confront without outing my informant. I don't need to find a smoking gun so much as convince her that I have.

OP
G

Guineapig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen various document recovery programs available online. Will these do anything?

There doesn't seem to be anything obvious on the machine, but further investigation is required.

A friend said photos are available for 30 days on IOS - is this the case?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They stay for 29 days in the Recently Deleted album in Photos. If they are removed from there, they'll be gone forever.

Recovery programs can't find images that have been deleted and are not contained in a backup.

Most reactions

Latest posts