What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uploading video from Ipad to ??

zmilin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off...Hello! As you can see by my post count (1) Im a noob to your little community here. I just got a Ipad 1 and am enjoying it.
In all honesty I have not spent much time on your forum but have done some searching and it looks like I may have a unique need/question/pipe dream. So here it goes....

Im a motorcyclist and have some awesome rides planned this summer. I also have a GoPro camera that will be with me on my journeys and will be shooting some video as I ride. I plan on filling up two 16G SD cards each day for about two weeks. I don't need to edit, only store this raw video until I get home to edit. Now I could easily pack my Macbook and not worry about any of this but I like cool things (like the Ipad) and being able to do even cooler things with those cool things.

I have been searching, reading and making very slow progress in my searches. Is it possible to do any of the following:
- Use my Ipad with the camera kit SD card reader to transfer the files to the Ipad then to a storage site?
- Use my Ipad to transfer to a external hard drive? (Im pretty sure this is a no).
- Use the Ipad to remotely access my TC to store videos to my TC?
- Any combination of the above?

Thank you all in advance for your replies, links to pertinent threads (and if your like some of the other forums Im a part of) hazing and abuse that is sure to follow.

OP
Z

zmilin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just a bump in case someone missed it and a point of clarification on one of my questions...

- Use my Ipad with the camera kit SD card reader to transfer the files to the Ipad then to a storage site?
my issue is that most online storage sites are limiting space that I would easily eat up in one download. So I guess Im asking for advice on storage sites with large capacities.

Reaction score
There are ways, yes, but they won't be free, or lets say, if will be easier, if you pay.

You will probably need to jailbreak your iPad and buy iFile to be able to access the videos stored on the SD cards.
The next thing would be to get an app which can upload the files. iSMEStorage will upload to many common sites,so let's stick with that one for now.

Now comes the question, whether you want to pay for storage, or use free services.Skydrive with their 25GB free storage is one of the best you can find, there is also adrive.com with their free 50GB, but I cannot find a way to upload to that site. So it will be difficult.

My advice would be to buy storage from Amazon's S3 cloud. You pay per GB and can upload unlimited amount of data. This way you would only need to upload to one site.
http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/
The free alternative would be to setup a bunch of Skydrive accounts and upload to a different skydrive account each day.

But the main question remains:0
How do you plan on uploading the data? Will you have broadband access, or 4G? Because you won't be able to upload 32GB/day via 3G, not to mention that it would cost a fortune.

Anyhow, this would be my idea. Perhaps someone else has an easier/cheaper solution.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zmilin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the main question remains:0
How do you plan on uploading the data? Will you have broadband access, or 4G? Because you won't be able to upload 32GB/day via 3G, not to mention that it would cost a fortune.

Ill have my Sprint Overdrive with me so 4G in most areas Im traveling. There is also hotel internet. I don't mind if it takes al night to load the videos.

I also don't mind paying for apps/storage. Ill look into the Amazon cloud you mentioned. That sounds like a great option.

Ill do a test run or two and see how I like the interface and reliability.
Thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts