What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uploading Apps

hellohello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering if i could upload an app written in .net to my own personal ipad without going through apple for approval?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You cannot develop for the iPad in .net

Unless you are working on a jail broken device, you need a development license ($99 a year) and you need to use Apples development environment. You don't need to go through the App store for your own device or a limited number of test devices.

-t

OP
H

hellohello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so say i do all that. can i still upload my program to work on the ipad without approval?? i have a .exe i want to run on the ipad. so how can i upload all the files onto my ipad and develop it into an app without approval?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can no more run .exe or .net applications on an iPad than you could on OS X or Linux. iOS (the iPad's operating system) is not compatible with Windows, not even a little bit, not even with an emulator. Can not be done.

If you want to write an app for the iPad you will have to write it using tools designed to create programs for the iPad. Apple's XCode is the Apple approved developer environment. There are a few others.

As a paid developer ($99 a year) apple gives you codes and tools that will let you install your own apps on your own devices. You can get the developer tools from Apple, create apps, and test them in emulation mode without paying anything. You just need to register. Oh yes, you need a Mac to run XCode.

Apple Developer

Last edited:
OP
H

hellohello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for that information. Really appreciate it. Has answered all my questions. Cheers

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you feel like learning how to develop your own apps you can do so for free. Go to iTunes on your iPad, click on 'iTunesU' at the bottom right hand side, select 'Universities and Colleges', then scroll to Stanford. Scroll right through the courses and you'll find a 25 lecture course on programming iPad apps. It's free and, by the end of the course, you'll be able to program some simple apps yourself. It's a great resource from one of the best Universities in the world.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts