What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upload books I have...

dpgipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greeting, Im new here still waiting for my new Ipad2 :)

I have a question, I read somewhere that you can scan your books upc code and upload it on to your ipad...

something along those lines... is this possible?

For example I dont want to repurchase the books I have...

Looking forward to working my way around this site and learning a few new things :)

cheers,

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I saw your question about iBooks. Do you mean you don't want to purchase books in eBook format (i.e. electronic books) that you already have paper copies of? If you have a paper copy of a book you do not get the option of getting the electronic version for free - you would need to purchase these again. There are many outlets on the web that are marketing electronic books - such as Apple's iBooks and Amazon Kindle. There is a Kindle app for the iPad that will enable you to read books from Amazon but, again, you need to purchase these even if you have the paper copy.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Search the app store for iCollect. Should fit your needs. Another decent looking option is item shelf.

OP
D

dpgipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the reply :) i did use search ... but nothing came up... I always search my way and if no answer, I post.

it wasnt ebooks, it was a different app and it allowed u to scan your books upc code and it would upload them. I think u had to pay for the software.

i should hae saved the site, i think i was on my iphone when i was just searching on apps store, ill see if i can try to find...

thanks again :)

rdclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I understand you correctly that you think there's an app that, when given the UPC code for a paper book, will let you download the e-book version... for free?

That would be illegal. Ownership of a paper edition gives you no rights to the e-book version, so certainly such an app would not exist in the Apple App Store. Since any book with a UPC is copyrighted, the e-book version will also be copyrighted and only available through its publisher.

So if there were such an app (hard to imagine how a database correlating p-book UPCs with e-book files would come to exist), it would be using pirated e-books.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you likely found was an inventory App. These kinds of Apps will let you scan barcodes and download thumbnails from sties like Amazon so you can create a Household inventory. This does not get you free copies of your hard copy in electronic format.

There are no UUIDs (unique user IDs) or serial numbers for books. :p

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. Not sure if this is what you are after, but I am a big reader and am forever buying books, the real type and I found it a pain and a long process looking for new books and worrying if I already had it or not. I bought Book Crawler, you can inventory all your books and you can do this manually or it has an inbuilt ispn scanner. I have now inventoried my 900 plus books. I have it also on my iPhone, you can upload through dropbox. I used it just this morning at a neighborhood fete which had a second hand book stall. No more reading dust jackets to try to remember if I already have the book or not. It is simply fantastic. Enjoy

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't help with books you have, but if it's books you want, check out Project Gutenberg. There are thousands of titles, all free and all legal to download, with more being made available all the time. PG releases only works that are out of copyright, so don't look for the latest bestsellers.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Hi. Not sure if this is what you are after, but I am a big reader and am forever buying books, the real type and I found it a pain and a long process looking for new books and worrying if I already had it or not. I bought Book Crawler, you can inventory all your books and you can do this manually or it has an inbuilt ispn scanner. I have now inventoried my 900 plus books. I have it also on my iPhone, you can upload through dropbox. I used it just this morning at a neighborhood fete which had a second hand book stall. No more reading dust jackets to try to remember if I already have the book or not. It is simply fantastic. Enjoy

Web-based LibraryThing.com does the same thing and hosts your list of books for you - no need to waste coveted drive space on your phone or tablet with an app and content. When shopping for books, which I do often, I just use my iPhone4 to check my LT account to see if I already have the book. With nearly 2000 paper books its very hard to remember what I have, what I want, and what I need :D.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
Web-based LibraryThing.com does the same thing and hosts your list of books for you - no need to waste coveted drive space on your phone or tablet with an app and content. When shopping for books, which I do often, I just use my iPhone4 to check my LT account to see if I already have the book. With nearly 2000 paper books its very hard to remember what I have, what I want, and what I need :D.

Hi, I have just checked this out, it's quite something. I wish I'd heard about it first. I don't mind the space on my phone and iPad being used, but still the forum and other content it has looks very enticing. Sometimes when I finish a book it would be good to talk to someone about it. And my it's great to meet someone else who loves reading and books. Nearly 2000 books, you must have a lot of shelving. Because of space restrictions I use to just give boxes of books away to friends, schools and charities. Now I have a library with proper shelving which I just love, but am running out of space yet again. Thanks so much for your post.

Sandra

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
The Alternative said:

Hi, I have just checked this out, it's quite something. I wish I'd heard about it first. I don't mind the space on my phone and iPad being used, but still the forum and other content it has looks very enticing. Sometimes when I finish a book it would be good to talk to someone about it. And my it's great to meet someone else who loves reading and books. Nearly 2000 books, you must have a lot of shelving. Because of space restrictions I use to just give boxes of books away to friends, schools and charities. Now I have a library with proper shelving which I just love, but am running out of space yet again. Thanks so much for your post.

Sandra

It will take a while to catalogue your books on LT.com but well worth it. And, you're right, it is a total book community with lots of options. The Early Reviewers group is great for getting review copies of new books, for instance. And yes, I have an entire room in the house set off as a library/office (though little office work gets done there.)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
It will take a while to catalogue your books on LT.com but well worth it. And, you're right, it is a total book community with lots of options. The Early Reviewers group is great for getting review copies of new books, for instance. And yes, I have an entire room in the house set off as a library/office (though little office work gets done there.)

Hopefully i'll be quicker at it the second time round. It may have to wait a tad first though, I have a few other projects on the boil at the moment. The review copies sound interesting too. I truly hope that paper books are here to stay though, a lot of bookshops are closing down lately, which is such a shame. Thanks again 

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our Japanese customers shared with us a technique used for BOOK SCOUTING - connect an wireless (bluetooth) barcode scanner to an iPad (or a smart phone) and scan barcode (VERY fast and easy) on a book. The data then goes right into an application - such as Amazon web site - for price checking. You can find bargain books doing this.

The bluetooth bar code scanner that they use is called KDC200i. It even has a screen to display scanned data.

Why do you need a separate device? There are free apps on iDevices that let you scan barcodes and UPC codes without any additional device or expense to price check, compare reviews, etc.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need a separate device to scan faster and from a greater distance. Moreover, some bar codes are impossible to scan using an imager, such as iPad camera.

That seems unnecessary to me. I scan books (and other products) all the time and have no probs. I use my phone, but I've read about people scanning with iPads, which already seems clunky even without a separate device.

I can't imagine any normal consumer walking around with and iPad and a separate device and scanning products. The image is too funny. How much scanning would a normal person need to do to make this worthwhile?

Most reactions