What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading to new JB !

alekhkhanna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
An iPad n00b here. Recently got iPad 1 (Wi-fi only)with 4.2.1 installed and JB-ed it. Now have loads of apps etc. installed on the iPad. A big comic collection in Comiczeal too. Regularly sync it with iTunes. Now wanna update to 4.3.1-JB.

Have some doubts:

1) Anyway I can retain the JB apps so that a simple sync with iTunes post JB-ing will install them automatically ?
2) Have loads of comics in Comiczeal. Do I have to retransfer them after updating or a simple sync will set them as before ?
3) Will the gamecenter achievements be gone after updating ? Also would the levels still stay open or will have to play them from starting ?
4) Any method of making a list of all the apps installed so that I can reinstall them in case they don't sync up.
5) Is the 4.3.1 browser speed up noticeably faster than the previous ones ?
6) Can anybody please link me to a thread showing the best apps for Cydia ?

Thanks.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alekhkhanna said:
Hey guys,
An iPad n00b here. Recently got iPad 1 (Wi-fi only)with 4.2.1 installed and JB-ed it. Now have loads of apps etc. installed on the iPad. A big comic collection in Comiczeal too. Regularly sync it with iTunes. Now wanna update to 4.3.1-JB.

Have some doubts:

1) Anyway I can retain the JB apps so that a simple sync with iTunes post JB-ing will install them automatically ?
2) Have loads of comics in Comiczeal. Do I have to retransfer them after updating or a simple sync will set them as before ?
3) Will the gamecenter achievements be gone after updating ? Also would the levels still stay open or will have to play them from starting ?
4) Any method of making a list of all the apps installed so that I can reinstall them in case they don't sync up.
5) Is the 4.3.1 browser speed up noticeably faster than the previous ones ?
6) Can anybody please link me to a thread showing the best apps for Cydia ?

Thanks.

1) app from Cydia called pkgeBackup. Allows u to backup all Cydia files and data for quick restore once jailnroken again. Once u jailbrake again, redownload pkgeBackup then click restore.
2) u might have to, not sure on that one.
3) game achievements shouldn't be lost. As far as game levels, I would hope they would stick but might have to start over. I would back up iPad thru iTunes just in case it does keep the data.
4) app in Cydia called Applist. It gives u d info on all apps installed. From AppStore, Cydia, packages, sources, and system. What's great about this app is that it also gives details on eachnand every app/etc.. And allows u to email urself the app list somumcan have it handy in case something doesn't sync or install. We have wayyy to many apps tom remember each and every single one.
5) this is subjective. 4.3.1 has nitro java scoot which speeds up java based websites a lot. Overall speed use ismbasically the same though. Not enough increase to warrant noticeable difference. Only in java heavy websites ismthis increase seen.
6) check the sticky thread in the hacking section. There are also some great threads on that subject also in hacking section

Sent From IPF app, if u need to know about the wonders of Jailbrake, inbox me!

OP
A

alekhkhanna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks a lot for the quick replies. Not much to warrant for an update then apart from the multi-finger gestures ? I will hate putting all those comics and playing all those levels all over again. :mad:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alekhkhanna said:
Wow. Thanks a lot for the quick replies. Not much to warrant for an update then apart from the multi-finger gestures ? I will hate putting all those comics and playing all those levels all over again. :mad:

New 4.3.1 doesn't enable multitouch gestures. That was only for developers to test out. You can enable it thru some research here in the threads and installing developer version of iOS. Or there is Xcode, which can be used on Mac to enable gestures. It's not enabled out the box

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alekhkhanna said:

Oh n no problem ;-). I feel what u saying on having to play levels all over again..lmao. Maybe someone can verify if it does save the save states on game or not

Reaction score
Somehow I thought multitouch gestures are automatically enabled with the jailbreak, even if the user hasn't used Xcode or ibackupbot, but I may be wrong.

Also, as long as your games are from the AppStore will their progress be saved, so that after the jb, you continue right where you left off.

OP
A

alekhkhanna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Installed Applist. But don't see any icon ? How do I go about using it ?

Thanks.

OP
A

alekhkhanna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somehow I thought multitouch gestures are automatically enabled with the jailbreak, even if the user hasn't used Xcode or ibackupbot, but I may be wrong.

Also, as long as your games are from the AppStore will their progress be saved, so that after the jb, you continue right where you left off.
Thanks.

Any idea about the ComicZeal thingy ? Will I have to resend all the comics to the app ? It takes ages to convert & I'm easily 10-12 GB in them :|

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alekhkhanna said:

Thanks.

There should be an icon for it. Check n see if it's on another home screen page. If not, uninstall and try again.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

If that is true about multi gestures then that is something new or I've never heard about. you at least have to have 4.3 or higher iosfor multitouch to be enabled thru certain methods. I'm Jailbroken on 4.2.1 and don't have that feature.

OP
A

alekhkhanna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alekhkhanna said:

Thanks.

There should be an icon for it. Check n see if it's on another home screen page. If not, uninstall and try again.

Still not seeing any icon. Nothing in the settings too. Rebooted but to no avail. :(

Most reactions

Latest posts