What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading from iPad 1 to iPad 5

whicky1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it that big of a difference? (my ipad safari brower crashes as I wite this) ;)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few things that will be different with the iPad Air:

Siri - you'll be able to use that feature.
Lightning adapter - iPad Air has this adapter for connecting/charging.
iOS 7: the look of the iPad will be different, some settings and features are new. You'll have to take your time to get to know it and get used to it.
Notification Center, Control Center and Spotlight Search are different.
iPad Air has a retina display.
You'll have front and back camera.
If you choose cellular + Wi-Fi: you need a Nano SIM card for it.

OP
whicky1978

whicky1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 1 is jail broken. I dont plan to jail break my new ipad but I want the icons and apps to be organized the same way. Will the icloud backup cover this or can I do this from a regular backup and restore?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud backup will save the information. Afaik your new device should have the same folders as your current one, if you restore from a backup. I don't know how this works with a jailbroken iPad, though.

OP
whicky1978

whicky1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cant wait until it comes monday, I will able to get the latest updates on apps, prob the last ipad i will get for years

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A few things that will be different with the iPad Air: Siri - you'll be able to use that feature. Lightning adapter - iPad Air has this adapter for connecting/charging. iOS 7: the look of the iPad will be different, some settings and features are new. You'll have to take your time to get to know it and get used to it. Notification Center, Control Center and Spotlight Search are different. iPad Air has a retina display. You'll have front and back camera. If you choose cellular + Wi-Fi: you need a Nano SIM card for it.

Don't forget one of the most important upgrades.... The speed! The Air flys like no other tablet I've ever used. That alone was worth the price of admission!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget one of the most important upgrades.... The speed! The Air flys like no other tablet I've ever used. That alone was worth the price of admission!
don't think old ipad will have Air Drop which newer ones do
You're both right. I just mentioned a few things that will be different, not everything.

Last edited:

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went directly from a One to an Air.. It's quite a difference. Apart from being lighter, thinner and having a sharper display, it's noticeably faster. For instance, whenever I went to search for an app in the App Store, it took several seconds for the cursor to appear when I tapped on the 'search box' on my iPad1... On the Air, it's instant.. Everything that I used to get impatient waiting for happens right away now.

Most reactions

Latest posts