Upgrade to IOS8.1 or 8.1.1?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Vetalogy, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Vetalogy

Vetalogy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    As always with Apple...I'm still not sure what to do...Few reviews say upgrade to IOS 8.1.1 because it is built with older ipads in mind like Ipad2; the one I own now. Others complain of slow performance. Being unable to afford a new Ipad now, those reviews positive or negative just leave me with IOS 4.0.X. Appart from jailbreaking, should I upgrade to IOS 8.1 or 8.1.1? Is 8.1 still signed too?

Thanks a lot
    Danny

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm afraid that if you choose to upgrade, it will be to iOS 8.1.1 only. Apple stopped signing iOS 8.1 almost a week ago, on December 1st.

3. Vetalogy

Vetalogy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    scifan57, and how is IOS 8.1.1 with ipad 2?

4. Blue92

Blue92
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I did the whole 8.0 update and each update along the way. Each one seems to be faster and more stable. Developers also seem to be updating applications as well.

Overall I haven't had any major issues with IOS 8.XXX

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While it's noticeably slower than my new iPad Air 2, I haven't noticed any slowing down compared to it's performance before the iOS update. I don't use it for gaming so any issues it may have there don't bother me.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Vetalogy - well, it's like standing on the edge of a swimming pool w/ your friends and the water is cold - only you can decide to take the plunge - ;) We cannot make that decision for you, but I've had an iPad 2 since the spring of 2011 and have taken it through all iOS upgrades and it's now on 8.1.1 - I have not noticed any major problems or slow downs (did turn on 'Reduce Motion' in the Accessibility menu in Settings -> General).

But after nearly 4 years on this device and wanting to consolidate my old iPod's MP3 music, I just bought a new 64 GB iPad Air 2 - have had it a week and now taking only one iDevice on the road for my needs. The differences between these two machines is pretty amazing - just picked up the old iPad and thought that I was holding a brick! Dave :)

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought my iPad 2 in December 2011 and it was on iOS 4.3.5. I've updated to every iOS version since then and updated to iOS 8.1.1 the day it was first released. I experienced none of the problems that some iPad 2 users are reporting. It's served me well through 5 major iOS versions.