What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to IOS8.1 or 8.1.1?

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As always with Apple...I'm still not sure what to do...Few reviews say upgrade to IOS 8.1.1 because it is built with older ipads in mind like Ipad2; the one I own now. Others complain of slow performance. Being unable to afford a new Ipad now, those reviews positive or negative just leave me with IOS 4.0.X. Appart from jailbreaking, should I upgrade to IOS 8.1 or 8.1.1? Is 8.1 still signed too?

Thanks a lot
Danny

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that if you choose to upgrade, it will be to iOS 8.1.1 only. Apple stopped signing iOS 8.1 almost a week ago, on December 1st.

OP
V

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57, and how is IOS 8.1.1 with ipad 2?

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did the whole 8.0 update and each update along the way. Each one seems to be faster and more stable. Developers also seem to be updating applications as well.

Overall I haven't had any major issues with IOS 8.XXX

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While it's noticeably slower than my new iPad Air 2, I haven't noticed any slowing down compared to it's performance before the iOS update. I don't use it for gaming so any issues it may have there don't bother me.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Vetalogy - well, it's like standing on the edge of a swimming pool w/ your friends and the water is cold - only you can decide to take the plunge - ;) We cannot make that decision for you, but I've had an iPad 2 since the spring of 2011 and have taken it through all iOS upgrades and it's now on 8.1.1 - I have not noticed any major problems or slow downs (did turn on 'Reduce Motion' in the Accessibility menu in Settings -> General).

But after nearly 4 years on this device and wanting to consolidate my old iPod's MP3 music, I just bought a new 64 GB iPad Air 2 - have had it a week and now taking only one iDevice on the road for my needs. The differences between these two machines is pretty amazing - just picked up the old iPad and thought that I was holding a brick! Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought my iPad 2 in December 2011 and it was on iOS 4.3.5. I've updated to every iOS version since then and updated to iOS 8.1.1 the day it was first released. I experienced none of the problems that some iPad 2 users are reporting. It's served me well through 5 major iOS versions.

Most reactions