What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upgrade to ios 7.0x not 7.1.x possible?

jeongeun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a second hand ipad 3 with ios 6.1.3,
and have just realized I can't jailbreak 6.1.3. (There are tools, but many users including me found it does not work.)

I compromised to jailbreak 7 ( I wanted to be on 6 ...) and again realized the 7.1 is not yet jailbreakable.
Is there anyway I can upgrade only to ios 7.0x or 6.1.x so that I can jailbreak my device?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a second hand ipad 3 with ios 6.1.3, and have just realized I can't jailbreak 6.1.3. (There are tools, but many users including me found it does not work.) I compromised to jailbreak 7 ( I wanted to be on 6 ...) and again realized the 7.1 is not yet jailbreakable. Is there anyway I can upgrade only to ios 7.0x or 6.1.x so that I can jailbreak my device?
Sorry, intermediate iOS updates are not possible. The only iOS version you can update to is iOS 7.1.1.

OP
J

jeongeun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.
I start to become tired of Apple's policy which mercilessly ignores users' wishes.

bab2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.
I start to become tired of Apple's policy which mercilessly ignores users' wishes.

It's true that they ignore a lot of users wishes, but that's the only way they can make sure your iDevice just works for what it's created for at the first place. The rest are distractions, which other concurrent offer though. Between stability, reliability and instability and unreliability, the choice is easy. And you have made the right one by choosing Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
J

jeongeun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true that they ignore a lot of users wishes, but that's the only way they can make sure your iDevice just works for what it's created for at the first place. The rest are distractions, which other concurrent offer though. Between stability, reliability and instability and unreliability, the choice is easy. And you have made the right one by choosing Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You are right. It is all to make our devices smooth and stable. :p
Maybe what I feel uncomfortable is the extend to which they stay assertive.
They can still stay productive in their attempt to enhance performances of newly released devices,
even if they decided to be less dogmatic to users who found their old devices become dumb under their premature 7 (a few month ago) or those who use old devices and originally bought it in favor if its skeuomorphic design...

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason that custom restoration and an open-sourced OS is not supported by Apple is because of the lack of technical background for at least 95% of all iOS users. This 95%+ includes a lot of jailbreakers. Of the 95%, at least 80% of them are jailbreaking solely for pirating AppStore applications, and because at the end of the day Apple is still a business that thrives more on its apps for the easy penny than the hardware itself, it has to keep barring hackers from opening channels or make it extremely annoying for pirates to pirate apps. The latter <20% of the 95% are jailbreakers that actually pay for what they use, but of this sub-20% group of users, less than 20% are actually security conscious of what goes on in the iOS itself. If Apple were to allow custom restoration, devices will be stolen left and right, and they can simply downgrade them and sell them on the market for a significant portion of the MSRP. If Apple were to stop or not care about their OS security, and leave bootrom exploits open as well as bootchain exploits open, hackers can openly and freely steal devices and downgrade them and sell them even if open custom restoration is not allowed. And, if bootrom or bootchain exploits are left open, considering how 99% of users leave their Wifi and SSH on around the clock, and more than likely do not have the proper security setup for their home network, their data can and will be sapped by hackers right under the user's nose without their knowledge until it's too late.

Playing devil's advocate, Apple is doing a hell of a job keeping iOS and OSX users safe. On the other hand, for non-developing hackers, it throttles the ability to clean your device out and start fresh if you're looking to jailbreak outside of a relatively minuscule window. Apple has openly "accepted" the jailbreak community by taking aspects of tweaks and incorporating them into the iOS, and giving credit openly to dev teams for finding exploits in their OS. But because these exploits are published, hackers can take advantage of devices knowing that they're jailbroken, and reverse engineer the exploits for themselves.

TL;DR: If Apple allowed custom restoration, that means exploits will be left open and that's the same as going "Here's my $600+ MSRP device, have it for free, and you can charge all you want on my credit card linked to my AppStore so that you can sell the IPAs to the Chinese to benefit pirates and steal from the developers, I won't call the police."

Last edited:
OP
J

jeongeun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems obvious that I belong to the 95% of users you mentioned, so
I read it thoroughly and want to give two thums up for this reply.
I mindlessly believed it is another dogmatic side of Apple, another "Just get used to what we allowed" thing.
It does not change my thought that it was too much for apple not to allow users to recover
suffering old devices under the initial 7.0.x in the first phrase of its arrival,
but at least now I can understand why Apple behave so obsessively about their os policy.
Thanks for your well-written explanation.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In a way it's good for us, but at the same time, they're limiting our flexibility, which I also whole heartedly agree shouldn't be that tight of a grip, but they have their reasoning, and they do tend to put their users first over money making. Keyword being "tend to". It might be possible in the future when they can 100% secure certain portions of the OS, but that's just theory

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Most reactions

Latest posts