What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to 5.0.1 before re-jailbreak

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've edited this post to simplify the question and reduce word count. Hopefully someone will try to help me figure this out.

I can no longer make backups through the sync process in iTunes. Will this issue affect the proceedure of upgrading from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 when the times comes to do so?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to delete any backups in your computer? Both via iTunes' Edit > Preferences > Devices > "Delete backup" and by going to iTunes folder to verify any all backups are gone? Obviously, something has happened to corrupt your backups. Maybe if you delete the backups, then re-install iTunes (after a computer reboot)? Honestly, these are just guesses here, because I've not experienced a continual, multi-iDevice, backup problem.

Also, AFAIK, a backup is not necessary to upgrade. You can always restore your device from new. Yeah, you'll lose all the data off your iDevice, but if you save it in other places, you can put it all back on or reset everthing. Note that I didn't say easily, but it can be done. Then, I should think that a newly restored device would have no trouble, going forward, in creating new backups.

You can also choose to use that older, good, backup (providing you don't delete it in following the process in my first paragraph).

I know, not much reassurance, but it may be that starting all over right from new is your best bet. Sorry I'm not of better use and good luck.

Marilyn

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Marilyn,

I done just that. I first removed the oldest backups, leaving one each for the phone and the pad - the latest in the set. Then I reinstalled iTunes, using a completely different install executable from the first go around. That didn't work, so then I moved those last two backup files out of their home directory, and tried it all again. Still no joy.

My only concern, really, (and frankly, I don't know without giving it a try) is that the backup process seems to be part of any upgrade or restore. The verification is made, all data backed up, then the upgraded firmware installed, and backup restore. That's how I understand it - that is, the process as performed online. With a local .ipsw file or building a custom .ipsw file (as I did with the phone the first JB), I don't know about. Perhaps no backup attempts are automatically made with a "manual upgrade/firmware install.

One way or another I'll find out. Loosing the JB on the pad isn't nearly as critical for me as loosing it on the iPhone. Enough said.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Issue resolved... successfully. It seems that the refusal to create a backup was fixed after the upgrade of the 5.0.1 .ipsw file which I had stored locally for both the phone and the pad. All is well.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Brian.

I am sorry you had the troubles (and that we couldn't help) - but am very glad things are better now.

Yay! :D

Marilyn

Most reactions