Upgrade of Apple's native office suit

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Atindra, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Atindra

Atindra
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Considering the utility of MS-Office, i would go for office 365 one year subscription. How are iWorks apps in iOS 11?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    The most useful change is how the file browser works. iWorks apps now use a Files app style browser. This means you can store and retrive files from anywhere you can in Files; including most of the popular cloud services: DropBox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.

Of course they included the new drag & drop and multitaksing features of iOS 11 (not all devices support all features).

You also get some more powerful shape editing tools.

3. Atindra

Atindra
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded it and it is working great. I am exploring the features.

4. Atindra

Atindra
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    An update from my side on the office suit. Well since my iPad Pro has 256gb space, I decided to keep both office suits, from Apple and from MS. But my observation was that Apple’s suit is still not very intuitive. Moreover it occupies too much more space compared to each app of Microsoft, for example Keynote is about 200 MB larger than power point. Similarly the difference between word and pages or excel and Numbers can be seen.
    Finally I decided not to keep two office suits and decided to go for Microsoft, even if I have to pay for it. And with latest updates for pen support and a drawing function on all, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, the user experience is fantastic. And one gets 1TB free space in OneDrive.

Atindra

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    While I agree with most of what you said, I still like Pages better for creating quick one or two page projects; especially if they are mostly a layout challenge (as opposed to lots of text). Like this brochure I put together for our W7DP Tailgate event tomorrow.

I had to flip the second page due to the print layout limitations of AirPrint in iOS.

While I’m sure I could have made a brochure in Word, I’m not even sure how to begin. Especially the graphic on the first page, which I cobled together from basic shapes and artwork supplied with Pages.

Of coures, that’s probably because I’ve used Pages a lot more than Word; which means I find Word to be the un-intuitive app. :)

Anyway, I’ll keep both.

Attached Files:

6. Atindra

Atindra
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree Twerppoet, Pages is better for brochures, flyers etc but word is good when you are handling a bulk of text pages with occasional graphs, schemes, figures. I just finished reviewing and inserting comments on a 28 page document on word. This would be tedious on Pages. Unfortunately the Publisher from MS doesn’t exist for iOS, otherwise it would be good for brochures, flyers, etc. I have not tried PowerPoint on iPad enough though but it could do much better with artwork, animations etc on flyers and brochures.

Thanks for your inputs and suggestions, it really helps in learning the iPad for better productivity.

Atindra