What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade JB iPad IOS

sangweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the best way to upgrade an iPad currently Jailbroken running 4.2.1 to 4.3.3? Is there a way to do this without wiping all the JB apps? I have about 30 from cydia and it would be painful to reinstall it again.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to invest in PKGBackup (Cydia, $7.99, USD). Yeah, it's expensive, but it sure helps in backing up all your Cydia apps, tweaks and settings. It's very handy to have when it comes to restoring.

It's not perfect, especially when making the jump from iOS 4.2.1 to 4.3.3. I had to fiddle a bit with the iPad to get it exactly as it was before I upgraded. However, it still downloaded all my tweaks and stuff - I just had to [mostly] rearrange the springboard.

It's also handy if (when?) the day comes you have to restore to the same firmware. Talk about a timesaver! Yeah, you can just manually reload everything, but as you said - painful!

Once you've got everything backed up (including your App Store stuff in iTunes), I'd suggest you just upgrade the iPad to stock iOS 4.3.3. Then, go to JailbreakMe 3.0 (via Safari on the iPad) and do the real easy two click jailbreak. Then, put everything back on from the backups.

Of course - I'm assuming you have SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3. Else, I'm afraid it's a tethered jail break on iOS 4.3.5 for you.... Oh, and no matter what you do, you will "wipe out" all your jail break stuff. Cause you have to go to the stock firmware before you can jailbreak, regardless whether it's 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 (stock = no jail break tweaks/fresh out of the box software...).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The one time I don't check for a tutorial....

Sigh.

It's the old age thing again ... creeping up on me. Or maybe galloping... :D

Thanks, Leigh.

Oh, and sangweb? Leigh's tutorials are well-written and easy to follow. And I'm not just saying that cause he's a moderator - it's because it's true! I've followed a number of them with no troubles.

Good luck [again] on your upgrade.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts