What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade from 8.3 to 9.1 possible?

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to upgrade, but only up to 9.1. I've looked online without success. Anyone able to help. I am currently in jailbreak mode and want to remain there. As far as I've learned I can go up only as far as version 9.1 and still be able to do a jailbreak. Correct me please if I am wrong. Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which iPad do you own? The answer to your question depends on your device.

iOS 9.1 isn’t signed by Apple any more, so it’s certainly not possible to upgrade to this software. If you own an iPad 2 or 3, the latest software is 9.3.5, and this one can be jailbroken, afaik.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can’t.

You can only update to the current version, or the last version available to your iPad model; whichever is higher. iOS 11.x supports the iPad Mini 2, so that is your only update choice. Once Apple stops siging an older iOS version for your model, it is almost impossible to load that version. I only say almost because I’m sure some super hacker somewhere can get around the limitation, after much work.

What I recommend is that you consider the feature(s) you currenlty want/need jailbreaking for, then look over the current iOS version to see if they are still missing. Most of the features that people were jailbreaking for have been added over the last few years, or have reasonable alternatives. If you let us know what you want/need, someone should have an idea of whether it is possible in iOS 11.

Note: Older iOS version are usually only available for a few weeks after the newer version is released.

OP
nypaulie

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My main reason for jailbreaking is to free up access to ALL the files. I just plug in the USB connector and I get instant access on my Linux screen - I can transfer to and from the iPad without any fuss. Any way to do this that easily to a non-jailbroken iPad?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I cannot comment on 'jailbreaking' - have owned several iPads since 2011 and have never felt the need. But I do have 2 apps on my Mac laptops that can communicate w/ the cabled iPad and permit a substantial amount of 'file manipulation' - these are iMazing and iExplorer, as shown below - Mac and PC app versions exist but did not see one for a Linux computer - check the links, if interested. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 3.59.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 3.59.51 PM.png

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't use it personally, but iOS 11's new Files app may be just what you need. Here's a FAQ that seems more informative than Apple's own page:

iOS 11's Files app FAQ: Everything you need to know!

You can apparently upload files from your PC or Mac to one of the popular cloud services, such as iCloud or DropBox, then download them to your iPad for offline use.

Unfortunately, you can't try it on your tablet without the one-way update to iOS 11. If you live near an Apple store, perhaps you could try it on one of their iPads first. I'd make a Genius appointment and ask them to show you how it works.

Most reactions

Latest posts