Upgrade and then Overload?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by retroguy78, Apr 16, 2012.

1. retroguy78

retroguy78
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I noticed for several weeks that my iPad 2 settings app had a "1" circled near it - which I now know indicated it was ready to upgrade whenever I wished to install the upgrade. Well, several nights ago I was both downloading quite a few podcasts from iTunes, and concurrently updating a lot of apps, when I decided to also go into settings and install the upgrade. Ever since I did that all the app upgrades are now frozen, as well as all the podcasts that were downloading. I've already tried to cold boot (reboot) the iPad a few times, as I synced it, but everything that was in process of updating or downloading is still frozen. How do I remedy this?!! Thanks!!!!

2. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Did the upgrade finish cleanly?

3. retroguy78

retroguy78
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It seems that it did, but how would I really know?

4. retroguy78

retroguy78
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It says that the version is 5.1.

5. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    From your PC hosting iTunes perform the specific application updates you were attempting on the iPad. When completed see if iPad has resumed download/update processes. Your version of Ios s current.

If still stuck let us know, next step would be manual sync of problem apps.

How many updates hanging ?

6. retroguy78

retroguy78
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, at this point 61. There were only 40 something when this all happened Thursday night but there are more now, and when I tried today to "upgrade all" the newest upgrades are also "frozen". This seems like a huge task.......? Thanks for the feedback!

7. retroguy78

retroguy78
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Also, my iTunes downloads are also frozen........

8. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    iTunes downloads on the PC are frozen? How can you tell?

In any event you have a mess on your hands. Never mix an operating system grade with any other task, as you can see results are unpredictable.

Worst case is uninstall iTunes on your PC. Reinstall it, bring it current under problem apple ID. Wipe the iPad to factory settings. Sync it with new install of iTunes.

9. retroguy78

retroguy78
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Great suggestion....but just to clarify, only iPad downloads and app updates are frozen. Still, I learned a valuable lesson. I'm only sorry I didn't pay to access Apple support when the free support expired......

10. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    If iTunes on your PC is working perform all app updates, do not attach your iPad at this time.

Once all the app updates complete on iTunes on your PC check your iPad and see if apps have begun moving again.

If they start moving you should be good to go although it's going to take a while to process so many updates.

If they don't start moving post back here and we will walk you through a manual sync as the iTunes library on your PC will have the current updates that are currently hung on the iPad.

We all make mistakes, don't sweat it. Let's just get you going again.