What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade and then Overload?

retroguy78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed for several weeks that my iPad 2 settings app had a "1" circled near it - which I now know indicated it was ready to upgrade whenever I wished to install the upgrade. Well, several nights ago I was both downloading quite a few podcasts from iTunes, and concurrently updating a lot of apps, when I decided to also go into settings and install the upgrade. Ever since I did that all the app upgrades are now frozen, as well as all the podcasts that were downloading. I've already tried to cold boot (reboot) the iPad a few times, as I synced it, but everything that was in process of updating or downloading is still frozen. How do I remedy this?!! Thanks!!!!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
retroguy78 said:
I noticed for several weeks that my iPad 2 settings app had a "1" circled near it - which I now know indicated it was ready to upgrade whenever I wished to install the upgrade. Well, several nights ago I was both downloading quite a few podcasts from iTunes, and concurrently updating a lot of apps, when I decided to also go into settings and install the upgrade. Ever since I did that all the app upgrades are now frozen, as well as all the podcasts that were downloading. I've already tried to cold boot (reboot) the iPad a few times, as I synced it, but everything that was in process of updating or downloading is still frozen. How do I remedy this?!! Thanks!!!!

Did the upgrade finish cleanly?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
retroguy78 said:
It says that the version is 5.1.

From your PC hosting iTunes perform the specific application updates you were attempting on the iPad. When completed see if iPad has resumed download/update processes. Your version of Ios s current.

If still stuck let us know, next step would be manual sync of problem apps.

How many updates hanging ?

OP
retroguy78

retroguy78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
From your PC hosting iTunes perform the specific application updates you were attempting on the iPad. When completed see if iPad has resumed download/update processes. Your version of Ios s current.

Unfortunately, at this point 61. There were only 40 something when this all happened Thursday night but there are more now, and when I tried today to "upgrade all" the newest upgrades are also "frozen". This seems like a huge task.......? Thanks for the feedback!

OP
retroguy78

retroguy78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:

Also, my iTunes downloads are also frozen........

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
retroguy78 said:
Also, my iTunes downloads are also frozen........

iTunes downloads on the PC are frozen? How can you tell?

In any event you have a mess on your hands. Never mix an operating system grade with any other task, as you can see results are unpredictable.

Worst case is uninstall iTunes on your PC. Reinstall it, bring it current under problem apple ID. Wipe the iPad to factory settings. Sync it with new install of iTunes.

OP
retroguy78

retroguy78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
iTunes downloads on the PC are frozen? How can you tell?

In any event you have a mess on your hands. Never mix an operating system grade with any other task, as you can see results are unpredictable.

Worst case is uninstall iTunes on your PC. Reinstall it, bring it current under problem apple ID. Wipe the iPad to factory settings. Sync it with new install of iTunes.

Great suggestion....but just to clarify, only iPad downloads and app updates are frozen. Still, I learned a valuable lesson. I'm only sorry I didn't pay to access Apple support when the free support expired......

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
retroguy78 said:
Great suggestion....but just to clarify, only iPad downloads and app updates are frozen. Still, I learned a valuable lesson. I'm only sorry I didn't pay to access Apple support when the free support expired......

If iTunes on your PC is working perform all app updates, do not attach your iPad at this time.

Once all the app updates complete on iTunes on your PC check your iPad and see if apps have begun moving again.

If they start moving you should be good to go although it's going to take a while to process so many updates.

If they don't start moving post back here and we will walk you through a manual sync as the iTunes library on your PC will have the current updates that are currently hung on the iPad.

We all make mistakes, don't sweat it. Let's just get you going again.

OP
retroguy78

retroguy78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
If iTunes on your PC is working perform all app updates, do not attach your iPad at this time.

Once all the app updates complete on iTunes on your PC check your iPad and see if apps have begun moving again.

If they start moving you should be good to go although it's going to take a while to process so many updates.

If they don't start moving post back here and we will walk you through a manual sync as the iTunes library on your PC will have the current updates that are currently hung on the iPad.

We all make mistakes, don't sweat it. Let's just get you going again.

Sounds good. Will do this soon....just one question......after I update the apps on the PC should I THEN sync the iPad to assess if updates are finally happening? Sorry if this seems basic, but my techno knowledge is limited......:)

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
retroguy78 said:
Sounds good. Will do this soon....just one question......after I update the apps on the PC should I THEN sync the iPad to assess if updates are finally happening? Sorry if this seems basic, but my techno knowledge is limited......:)

Once updates complete on PC the iPad updates may start moving again on their own if in a waiting state. If not then yes sync to iTunes on PC which will have the required updates and can apply them.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are those podcasts still pending in iTunes? If you just delete those podcasts by swiping them, I think your updates will then start downloading. Worth a try here first.

OP
retroguy78

retroguy78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Are those podcasts still pending in iTunes? If you just delete those podcasts by swiping them, I think your updates will then start downloading. Worth a try here first.

Interesting. I took your advice and deleted all the podcasts that were 'frozen' and immediately my stuck apps started to update. I was happy.....but then realized that only about 25 apps successfully updated (leaving 40 apps still in limbo). I've tried using the "update all" prompt and then I shut the iPad down and re-booted but they are still in 'limbo'. Also, the little spinning asterisk (that indicates things are uploading, updating) is not returning. Perhaps now I should go with the update the apps on the PC option......? Well, I'm getting there slowly!!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
retroguy78 said:
Interesting. I took your advice and deleted all the podcasts that were 'frozen' and immediately my stuck apps started to update. I was happy.....but then realized that only about 25 apps successfully updated (leaving 40 apps still in limbo). I've tried using the "update all" prompt and then I shut the iPad down and re-booted but they are still in 'limbo'. Also, the little spinning asterisk (that indicates things are uploading, updating) is not returning. Perhaps now I should go with the update the apps on the PC option......? Well, I'm getting there slowly!!

I would look again at iTunes and see if there are more podcasts still pending, just to be safe, do you know if you deleted them all? Then I would try a reset of your iPad, not sure if you only restarted it before. This is a recommended step after any update to the iPad, it's just housekeeping to make sure everything has settled in nicely.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Try updating all again and let us know what happens.

Most reactions

Latest posts