What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating when free app becomes paid

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand usually in apps store if I buy something then subsequent updates of same app is free.

But what if a free app becomes paid? Can I still download updates without paying?

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course it is! Once you download that app it's yours any new updates can be downloaded free of charge, as if you had paid full price! I've done this numerous times!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? I could have sworn that I tried that once and because it was free to me initially, it wouldn't let me update.

I could be wrong ~ I only have like 10 apps.:eek:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand usually in apps store if I buy something then subsequent updates of same app is free.

But what if a free app becomes paid? Can I still download updates without paying?

Yep.

The creator of the app chose to offer it free for a time and that's the "price" you paid. When updates are offered, since you "paid" for it - you also get the free upgrades.

Same theory works when you buy an app that's on sale. When it goes back to regular price, you don't (1) pay the difference when the price changes or (2) pay for upgrades.

So far, it's a great system - upgrades are free from the App Store.

Marilyn

beesy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded deadspace hd for 9.99 then two weeks later it was .99cents, I wrote to apple they credited my credit card. I kept the game on my ipad and when there was an update, i updated it. I still play it

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More to say...

In cases where I’ve seen ‘free’ go to ‘paid’ its included a more full-featured 'pro' iteration. It’s just been a while since I’ve seen introductory go from ‘free’ to ‘paid’. Perhaps I haven’t been all that attuned to the relatively low cost of apps. Then again, I'm rather conservative and not as app-slappy as I use to be.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SaberOne said:
In cases where I’ve seen ‘free’ go to ‘paid’ its included a more full-featured 'pro' iteration. It’s just been a while since I’ve seen introductory go from ‘free’ to ‘paid’. Perhaps I haven’t been all that attuned to the relatively low cost of apps. Then again, I'm rather conservative and not as app-slappy as I use to be.

Oh then that's different, if it's a pro edition then you have to pay for it but if the updates show up in the AppStore as available then you won't, as Marilyn explained you have 'paid' for it even though it's free.

Most reactions

Latest posts