What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating to 8.1?

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have 7.1.2 on my iPad Mini 2 (WiFi) with many apps and tweaks that are only possible as a result of having run Pangu. Can anyone enlighten me as to the advantages of upgrading? Will I be able to use Pangu again to get back those extras I like? Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have 7.1.2 on my iPad Mini 2 (WiFi) with many apps and tweaks that are only possible as a result of having run Pangu. Can anyone enlighten me as to the advantages of upgrading? Will I be able to use Pangu again to get back those extras I like? Thanks!

If you want to upgrade to iOS 8 and jailbreak with the PanGu jailbreak tool, do so now. Apple has released iOS 8.1.1 and it "breaks" the tool (there is no jailbreak on iOS 8.1.1). Once Apple stops signing iOS 8.1, the only iOS you will be able to go to is iOS 8.1.1.

Right now, the jailbreak on iOS 8.1 works fine, both on the iPhone and the iPad. There are still tweaks that have not been updated for iOS 8, but developers are hard at work getting stuff updated.

I am successfully using iOS 8.1 on both my iPad and iPhone. I've had no issues and they both work fine.

No one knows when Apple will stop signing iOS 8.1. So, if you want to go to iOS 8 and jailbreak, best to go while the getting's good. Else, you'll be "stuck" at iOS 7 with a jailbreak or on iOS 8.1.1 with none.

No pressure ... but you've really got no time to make a decision. :)

Marilyn

OP
nypaulie

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to upgrade to iOS 8 and jailbreak with the PanGu jailbreak tool, do so now. Apple has released iOS 8.1.1 and it "breaks" the tool (there is no jailbreak on iOS 8.1.1). Once Apple stops signing iOS 8.1, the only iOS you will be able to go to is iOS 8.1.1.

Right now, the jailbreak on iOS 8.1 works fine, both on the iPhone and the iPad. There are still tweaks that have not been updated for iOS 8, but developers are hard at work getting stuff updated.

I am successfully using iOS 8.1 on both my iPad and iPhone. I've had no issues and they both work fine.

No one knows when Apple will stop signing iOS 8.1. So, if you want to go to iOS 8 and jailbreak, best to go while the getting's good. Else, you'll be "stuck" at iOS 7 with a jailbreak or on iOS 8.1.1 with none.

No pressure ... but you've really got no time to make a decision. :)

Marilyn
I took a look at iTunes and yes indeed the upgrade listed is already 8.1.1.
Now is it all that worthwhile actually doing the upgrade to 8.1? What are the advantages?
I realize time is of the essence and a "manual" one would be mandatory, but I'm wondering if I should go to the trouble. And Marilyn - Thanks for your help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Other than being on the most current iOS, I've really got no real reason to upgrade to iOS 8.

I, personally, like it because, for me, new iOS updates bring new features. However, each person has to decide whether to upgrade.

I just wanted to stress that if you're thinking of upgrading - and still want to jailbreak - you've got to decide soon because no one knows when Apple will stop signing iOS 8.1.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My thoughts.

There are a lot of low visibility power user features with iOS 8. They won't come into their own for a little while, as app developers have only begun to nibble at the possibilities. If you are someone who uses your iPad for productivity or other tasks beside reading, gaming, browsing, etc; then you're really going to hate it when you can't use the various extension enabled apps that start coming out. iCloud Drive has a lot of potential as well, though whether it will be fully realized is more problematic.

Most reactions

Latest posts