What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating software please help?

lizmcqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:mad:
I have tried unsuccessfully to update to the ios5
my computer tells me there is an error (timed out) after 10 mins?
I have tried several times and I am officially frustrated with the process!
I only want to use my 'pages' and sync the new 'numbers' I bought!!
My ipad2 does not support this application: apparently!
Please help, Liz.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Liz - welcome to the forum! :) Not sure that I can help but feel your pain - my iPad has the latest 4.x version and I'm holding off until next week to do an iOS5 upgrade!

But, I have all the iWorks apps on my iPad and since their newer versions are apparently compatible only w/ iOS5, every time I visit the App store, I receive these upgrade announcements for these programs and then of course cannot update due to the reasons already discussed - irritating! Now my older versions still work, but if I can get iOS5 on my iPad, then I'll update the iWorks apps - seems to DAMN complicated! :(

However, I'm assuming that you have the most recent version of iTunes on your computer, i.e. 10.5 (I believe), which is needed for the iOS5 upgrade; also, are you using the computer that your iPad is registered to and contains all of your purchased/free apps and your other files (music, photos, etc.) - please post back if these suggestions are helpful (or if not) - maybe those that have gone through this process can provide further assistance - good luck!

OP
L

lizmcqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you it took me a while to work out how to reply to you?

I am a bit overwhelmed at the minute! I searched further and found a moderators advice re my problem: time!
I am not sure how to find out if I have 10.5 iTunes? Can you help me with that, please Giradman?:eek:
Liz

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, when iTunes is opened on your computer, you can go to the 'Help' tab and select 'About' - the version number should scroll by - just make sure that you have 10.5x which is needed for upgrading your iPad to iOS5.

OTOH, if your plug in your iPad and iTunes starts up and offers you to upgrade to iOS5, you should have the most recent version of iTunes installed - but just some simple checks. Please post back and again good luck! :)

OP
L

lizmcqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My smartalexy daughter said just go to google and download the version you need! I did! And I now have a 9 minute wait! I hope that will solve my problem?
Thank you for your time and assistance I hope to get loads more advice from you! In will play with the forum threads it will take a while to work out how to move freely between them, I suppose?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Liz - in the same iTunes 'Help' tab, there is a selection to check for updates, and if available will give you the option to update, so no reason to really google and search the web, but if all works out well for you, then great!

Keep us informed - :)

OP
L

lizmcqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have 10.5 let's party! Try the ios5 again wish me luck!
Thanks again

OP
L

lizmcqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No luck! VERY DISAPPOINTED! Still same network connection timed out

:mad::mad:
I have decided not to bother: way too much time on this so far! Got too much to do. so very upset

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a very frustrating time for you, but there are so many others trying to do the same thing and this is where the problem lies. Things will die down, I wish you better luck for the next time you try.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there Liz and welcome.

Are you getting any error messages when it fails, if you are then please let us know what they are as this may help someone resolve your problems? If it is just timing out it could be server pressure when you are trying to upgrade, Apple has just gone for one of the most incredible software releases I can ever remember.....2 OS upgrades, 1 completely new release (iCloud), many programme upgrades (iTunes, pages, keynote, etc) and to top it off a new hardware release (iPhone 4S) so its more surprising that millions have upgraded seamlessly so you may have to just give it time.......but any other information about your problems will help us to help you. Good luck and I hope we can get you sorted out.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, for those who still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts