What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

updating software on jailbroken ipad

shortyife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a jailbroken ipad 4, currently running IOS 6.1.2. i want to upgrade to the lastest software version, because i want to dl a few apps that are currently incompatible and i think the old software is causing the battery life to be shorter. I know that the only way to really do the upgrade is with itunes, but I am not sure if i try to do so with itunes if it will cause my ipad to brick as it is jailbroken? i am not particularly interested in keeping the jailbreak or having a new one done, i dont use the jailbrak part much. just want to upgrade. will it be something simple to do or do i run the risk of causing my ipad to brick?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a jailbroken ipad 4, currently running IOS 6.1.2. i want to upgrade to the lastest software version, because i want to dl a few apps that are currently incompatible and i think the old software is causing the battery life to be shorter. I know that the only way to really do the upgrade is with itunes, but I am not sure if i try to do so with itunes if it will cause my ipad to brick as it is jailbroken? i am not particularly interested in keeping the jailbreak or having a new one done, i dont use the jailbrak part much. just want to upgrade. will it be something simple to do or do i run the risk of causing my ipad to brick?

To upgrade your iPad to the latest Apple-approved iOS, 7.1.1, connect to the latest version of iTunes, make a back-up and click on the "Restore" button. iTunes will do its magic and, when it's finished, you'll be on iOS 7.1.1 (unjailbroken/unjailbreakable).

If you accept iTunes's offer to restore from the back-up you made, your iPad will be just as it was with all your data and settings. Well, except it won't be jail broken. :)

That's really all there is to it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
S

shortyife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To upgrade your iPad to the latest Apple-approved iOS, 7.1.1, connect to the latest version of iTunes, make a back-up and click on the "Restore" button. iTunes will do its magic and, when it's finished, you'll be on iOS 7.1.1 (unjailbroken/unjailbreakable).

If you accept iTunes's offer to restore from the back-up you made, your iPad will be just as it was with all your data and settings. Well, except it won't be jail broken. :)

Marilyn

Thanks,

i,m trying it now.. hope it doesn't get bricked. x_x will let you know how it progresses. :p

OP
S

shortyife

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Thanks much! i tried it and it worked fine!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great! Glad it worked for you. And, thanks for letting us know ... always good to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions