What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

updates and questions

atarigod2600

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've been doing reading about jailbreaking and the tutorials have been very useful to me so far but have a few questions about different jailbreaks that I couldn't find an answer to.

1. Lets say I use redsnow or JBM (3.0) for an ipad 1 once completed can I still connect to itunes for updates to the ipad?

2. On that note I couldn't get updated music to the ipad anymore or can I use the icloud for a go around if that is the case.

3. As a new to this whole idea are redsnow and JBM recommended?

4. For JBM if apple updates will the ipad not work then because the hole was fixed? Or I just can't connect and update anymore until a new one is released. If thats the case can you install the next version ontop of the old one? Or refresh the ipad and download new. I would then loose my apps I had on the jail broken version then I'd assume

I know its a lot but just want to know how it all works after the fact of installing the software.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I've been doing reading about jailbreaking and the tutorials have been very useful to me so far but have a few questions about different jailbreaks that I couldn't find an answer to.

1. Lets say I use redsnow or JBM (3.0) for an ipad 1 once completed can I still connect to itunes for updates to the ipad?

No. You will not what to even have the "check for updates" part of your iTunes turned on. After a jail break, you never want to upgrade/update your iOS version until after it gets jailbreak capable. So, after jailbreaking iOS 4.3.3, you'll want to stay there until the jailbreaking community has developed a jail break for any new version.

You can still update your iTunes/App Store apps and such - just not the iOS

2. On that note I couldn't get updated music to the ipad anymore or can I use the icloud for a go around if that is the case.

You can still update your iTunes/App Store apps, music, movies and such - just not the iOS

3. As a new to this whole idea are redsnow and JBM recommended?

For anyone not yet jail broken who's running iOS 4.3.3, JailbreakMe 3.0 is the easiest jail break out there; two simple presses of an onscreen button and you're done! So, I'd recommend that over any of the others, for now...

You, as an iPad1 owner (I assume, since you mentioned it), can run redsnow, but as long as you can, why not take the easy route? The tweaks and apps on Cydia don't care how you jailbroke, just that you are.

4. For JBM if apple updates will the ipad not work then because the hole was fixed? Or I just can't connect and update anymore until a new one is released. If thats the case can you install the next version ontop of the old one? Or refresh the ipad and download new. I would then loose my apps I had on the jail broken version then I'd assume

Lots of details in here. To start, if Apple update and YOU update the iOS, then no, the JBM won't work. However, if Apple updates and you DON'T, then you're fine. Yes, that means you'll have to wait until a jailbreak comes out for the new version.

As an iPad1 owner, you really don't have to worry, for now, about if you have to restore, thus losing your jail break. If you've saved your SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3...

ALERT: If you haven't already saved them - stop reading and go save them now! Yes, that means you random thread viewers also!

...then you'll be able to use redsnow and re-jailbreak on that, using your SHSH blobs.

But, that gets a bit complicated and if need be, you can cross that bridge when/if you come to it.

I know its a lot but just want to know how it all works after the fact of installing the software.

No worries. Bottom line: I'd recommend jail breaking with JBM and the lots of play! Come on in, the water's fine ... plus, we have cookies! :D

Carnage334

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, new here as well I have been reading about JB for about 3 days now. I have one major question thats along the same lines as atari's so not trying to thread jack. :} I have an Ipad 2 4.3.3. If I use JBM 3.0 and download all sorts of stuff and then 5.0 comes out in fall and I dont want to wait for the jail break, can I just install 5.0 and it will wipe out all my JB stuff?

OR will JB still be on there somewhere?

OR do I need to restore to factory and then restore to my backed up 4.3.3 and then to 5.0?

I want to mess around with JB for awhile before 5.0 to see if I like it and if maybe jail break 5.0.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, new here as well I have been reading about JB for about 3 days now. I have one major question thats along the same lines as atari's so not trying to thread jack. :} I have an Ipad 2 4.3.3. If I use JBM 3.0 and download all sorts of stuff and then 5.0 comes out in fall and I dont want to wait for the jail break, can I just install 5.0 and it will wipe out all my JB stuff?

OR will JB still be on there somewhere?

OR do I need to restore to factory and then restore to my backed up 4.3.3 and then to 5.0?

I want to mess around with JB for awhile before 5.0 to see if I like it and if maybe jail break 5.0.

You won't be able to just install iOS 5.0 over the 4.3.3 jail break. You'll have to restore the iPad. If iOS 5.0 is out, you can elect to have iTunes put iOS 5.0 on the iPad. You won't have to go down to 4.3.3 and then go up to 5.0.

In a restore, the iPad is wiped clean (like a completely blank slate) and a fresh iOS version is installed onto the iPad. Fresh as in just taken out of the box - no apps, no contacts, settings, etc. And definitely no Cydia (i.e. jail break) tweaks or apps.

Everything is gone and you are literally starting all over again from scratch or restoring from backup (which is why a backup is so necesary - so you can restore from a backup, instead of treating it like new).

So, make yourself a backup of the iPad now (on 4.3.3). Get the JBM and jail break the iPad. Play with it and see if it's for you. If it is, great. Join the rest of the gang who will be zealously monitoring the jail break boards - or carefully guarding their iPad(s) to make sure they don't accidentally wipe out their jailbreak...

If you don't like it, all you have to do is restore from backup - but that backup will allow you to put the iPad back where it was.

That help?

Marilyn

Carnage334

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank did help. Thanks! So looks like JB with JBM 3.0 and if I dont like it just restore from my backup and it will be good as the day before I did the JB.

One thing Im not clear on is the upgrade to 5.0 while being Jail broken. But if I am reading this correctly, I would connect my Ipad to the computer and then tell itunes to upgrade to 5.0 and then all my JB still would be gone and I would be on 5.0?

By the way this forum is Great! I have been on ALOT of great forums for cars and tech and hobbies. This is right up with this on the top notch ones. Many thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank did help. Thanks! So looks like JB with JBM 3.0 and if I dont like it just restore from my backup and it will be good as the day before I did the JB. One thing Im not clear on is the upgrade to 5.0 while being Jail broken. But if I am reading this correctly, I would connect my Ipad to the computer and then tell itunes to upgrade to 5.0 and then all my JB still would be gone and I would be on 5.0?

You'd have to put the iPad into DFU mode first (see here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html), but yes, that's about it. Easy peasy!

By the way this forum is Great! I have been on ALOT of great forums for cars and tech and hobbies. This is right up with this on the top notch ones. Many thanks!

On behalf of the forum, thanks and you're welcome. On behalf of me: Yeah, it IS a pretty neat place to hang out at! :D

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts