What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update IOS 5.1

dadurancwf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new here and have really never figured out what i do on something like this. However i need some help; everytime i try and update to IOS 5.1 on three diferent devices ii get " UNABLE TO CHECK FOR UPDATES AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE CHECKING FOR A SOFTWARE UP" then i get a choice of cancelling or trying again. I have tried this since the 8 with a fast internet connection. Would someone be able help me?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

Are you trying to update OTA or connected to a PC/Mac, if via a PC/Mac have you downloaded the latest version of iTunes?

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for both iOS 4 and 5.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

The Archangel

gleff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing the error is because the servers are getting hammered due to the amount of people trying to download the update

I would try again but at really obscure hours of the day. Eg when most of the USA is asleep etc.

Otherwise, check your firewall as it's possible the update is trying to go through a port that's blocked. I'm not sure what port it would be trying to use but if you get the error constantly no matter what time you try, then i'm guessing it would be a firewall issue.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
D

dadurancwf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help, we are out of town so I am trying to update through the iPad and iPone themselves, not sure if that is considered OTA. I have tried pretty obscure time however I did think maybe that was the case of servers being hammered. We are in Washington State since update came out and won't be back to southern California until the 17th. Probably the same will be true there. We are in a very small town but the connection stays from 13m to 20m download speed. I will keep trying and appreciate those of you that sent me an answer. If anyone has any other suggestions I appreciate them. I have tried hard reboots and keep clicking on retry for several minutes at various times thinking maybe if I get a connect the update may continue.

OP
D

dadurancwf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also I tried the threads from Leelai but it seems I cannot connect to either one

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dadurancwf said:
Also I tried the threads from Leelai but it seems I cannot connect to either one

That's strange, I have just checked the links I gave you and they are good ones. So maybe your problem is the Internet where you are. Try going elsewhere where free wifi is available to do the update and yes this is OTA over the air.

Most reactions

Latest posts