What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update from iOS 6 to 7 & NOT 9 on an old iPad 2?

protivakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 still on iOS 6. I want to update the iOS to version 7 as some newer apps require that as a minimum. I don't want to go to 8 or 9 as I've heard performance of those on my aging tablet is terrible. I already understand Apple is not signing iOS 7 so those on 9 wanting to go back cannot. Is there any work-around though for those of us that are still on an old iOS wanting to go forward but only to a particular version? I played around with iFaith and TinyUmbrella but didn't get anywhere with either.

Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no workaround. You'll be able to update to software versions signed by Apple. During the update/restore process, iTunes/your iPad connect to Apple's servers to make sure you install the right software. If you don't, you'll get an error and won't be able to "update".

The only versions available right now are 9.0.1 and 9.0.2.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 still on iOS 6. I want to update the iOS to version 7 as some newer apps require that as a minimum. I don't want to go to 8 or 9 as I've heard performance of those on my aging tablet is terrible. I already understand Apple is not signing iOS 7 so those on 9 wanting to go back cannot. Is there any work-around though for those of us that are still on an old iOS wanting to go forward but only to a particular version? I played around with iFaith and TinyUmbrella but didn't get anywhere with either.

Thanks!
I'm afraid that the only iOS versions you can update to are ios 9.0.1 or iOS 9.0.2. Apple is no longer signing any iOS 7 or iOS 8 versions. Unless Apple is still signing a particular version, you can't update to it as part of the update process is an online verification with Apple servers. It Apple detects that the iOS version you're trying to install is no longer signed, the update will fail.

OP
P

protivakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Old thread I know but I never too any action last time.

Through jailbreaking is it possible to update to an 8.x version of ios? I am still on 6.x currently.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iOS version you'll get when you try updating depends on software signed by Apple at the moment you're updating. For the iPad 2 and 3, that's 9.3.5. The iPad 4 and later can be updated to 10.1, 10.1.1 and 10.2 right now. Afaik, all of these software versions can't be jailbroken, so if your device is jailbroken, you'll lose your jailbreak.

Trying to jailbreak/a jailbreak won't help getting a different iOS than the one signed by Apple.

OP
P

protivakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iOS version you'll get when you try updating depends on software signed by Apple at the moment you're updating. For the iPad 2 and 3, that's 9.3.5. The iPad 4 and later can be updated to 10.1, 10.1.1 and 10.2 right now. Afaik, all of these software versions can't be jailbroken, so if your device is jailbroken, you'll lose your jailbreak.

Trying to jailbreak/a jailbreak won't help getting a different iOS than the one signed by Apple.

I didn't know if jailbreaking allowed you to manually update to another version in any way to 8.x like Odysseus allows for 6.x to 7.x

OP
P

protivakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I just had something kind of odd happen. I factory reset my iPad 2, went through the setup but did not sign into apple. I then did an update though the iPad itself (NOT using iTunes) and instead of updating from 6.0 to the latest 9.3.5, it updated to 8.4.1.

I thought this was not possible with the ios versions needing to be signed?

The iPad is now asking me to update to 9.3.5 but what caused this stop at iOS8? Either way this is exactly what I wanted for now.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I just had something kind of odd happen. I factory reset my iPad 2, went through the setup but did not sign into apple. I then did an update though the iPad itself (NOT using iTunes) and instead of updating from 6.0 to the latest 9.3.5, it updated to 8.4.1.

I thought this was not possible with the ios versions needing to be signed?

The iPad is now asking me to update to 9.3.5 but what caused this stop at iOS8? Either way this is exactly what I wanted for now.
What you're describing can't possibly happen as an iOS update will not succeed unless it passes online verification from Apple servers. Since Apple is no longer signing iOS 8.4.1, it will not install.

OP
P

protivakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you're describing can't possibly happen as an iOS update will not succeed unless it passes online verification from Apple servers. Since Apple is no longer signing iOS 8.4.1, it will not install.

Would you like proof? I posted on reddit and others chimed in that if the 9.x installer doesn't run on the really old 6.x iOS then perhaps a step up to 8.x was needed first before going to 9. I am pretty stoked it happened. iTunes wanted to take me directly to 9 but this was done through the iPad itself, not using iTunes.

This link also said it is know to happen if in the past the device downloaded an update but never installed it. I may have done this and not remembered.

Does iOS 9 update require iOS 8.4.1 to be installed first?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The situation described in the post you linked to happened right after iOS 9.0 was released and while Apple was still signing iOS 8.4.1.

If your iPad had an old downloaded, but never installed, copy of iOS 8.4.1 it wouldn't update to that iOS version when updating your iPad at the present time because, unlike in that linked post, Apple is no longer signing iOS 8.4.1.

OP
P

protivakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The situation described in the post you linked to happened right after iOS 9.0 was released and while Apple was still signing iOS 8.4.1.

If your iPad had an old downloaded, but never installed, copy of iOS 8.4.1 it wouldn't update to that iOS version when updating your iPad at the present time because, unlike in that linked post, Apple is no longer signing iOS 8.4.1.

I don't know what to say other than it happened and I now have an iPad 2 running 8.4.1. Not sure if there is any way to prove the install was done yesterday. Reddit didn't seem to amazed and wondered if apple was perhaps still secretly signing some iOS versions.

OP
P

protivakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here I have proof, I did a backup yesterday while still on 6.0. Followed is a pic of my iPad now taken 5 minutes ago.

iPad60.png

ipad841.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts